Best 7.1 Headset?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

j1j1j

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hey Guys, I just built a new PC that has over 12 fans. Its incredibly loud. I currently have a sound card capable of 7.1 and was wondering what the best headset on the market these days is....

I have an infinite budget, so price makes no difference. I guess I'm looking for 7.1 since thats what my sound card supports. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Agreed. On both my Tritton AX Pro and my Sony MDR-3000, as you rotate around a fixed point, you do end up with a jump in where the sound is comming from. That being said, I've never had a problem discerning sound location on either headset. That being said, both headsets were being driven via my ASUS Xonar D2...

I never did a direct comparision on Dolby Surround vs Dolby Digital vs Analog though. But based on my Logitech G35, Dolby Surround based technologies do a VERY good job of virtualizing the surround field, but has a subtle muting of the overall playback.

beanboom6

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Hey man what about ASUS's Orion PRO 7.1 Headset? its really comfortable, and there is an option between audio/mic jack to sound card or USB connector with full 7.1 Surround/FPS/Amp Modes, Long cable and a cable clumper with logo, The Mic isn't that great but its not too bad, all round great headset for it's functions.
$109 on newegg and PcCaseGear it's $119 for aussies. Recommend!
For sound cancelling, this heaset does passively about 30db, not active. if you want active try the ASUS Vulcan PRO heaset, bit more expensive ~10-20 bucks more

NO, just no! Do not buy Razers crappy audio products.

Yes, this. Sound card with virtual + good headphones = best option

Gaming headphones = gimmick and sound terrible.

+1 Cramming drivers into cans that close is ridiculous.

beanboom6

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Try the ASUS Orion PRO Headset? Spitfire audio processor via USB or unplug for audio jack its really cool, apparently good reviews from other places but its not on that site

Zahir Mohammed

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Bought the G930 recently and it is performing well and the wireless is a bonus. My case has 8 fans so is pretty noisy and the noise cancellation is awesome, can't hear any environmental noise. Had my sister walk into the room and she was talking to me and I couldn't hear anything, just saw her mouth moving... lol. G930 is comfortable, a bit heavier than a typical headset. Sound quality is great once you're not a sound enthusiast and being very critical. Tried the 7.1 surround sound watching a few movies and it does make quite a difference. You can even change the battery later on when the built in one gives way. In the end its up to you and exactly how you wanna use your headset.