Best 8" or 9" Tablet for under $100

InvalidError

Titan
If by "good" you mean at least FHD resolution so you can see a reasonable amount of detail on medium/high-resolution digital comics and not have to wait for several seconds for pages to render due to insufficient memory, then you won't find what you are looking for below $200 and even then, your options might not be that good. For example, I have tried Asus' Z580C ($200 MSRP a year ago) and once all bloatware is updated, it grinds to a halt due to running out of memory despite having 2GB of it.

Below $200, you have few (if any) options with 2GB of RAM and a FHD display, most of them passable at best. Most tablets below $200 perform roughly on par with the 2012 Nexus, which is depressing.

I ended up buying a 7" Galaxy Tab A as a stopgap until a decent $200 tablet becomes available.

Tylerr

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
eh well i'm not sure i need that...

I mean i'm currently using a first gen kindle fire (rooted with a custom rom) and even its not as terrible as what you're describing.

It's just a bit too small for me and has no expandable storage.

I've also used a nextbook 8 which was decent for what it was(but I don't have access to it anymore), though it had memory problems due to lolipop.

InvalidError

Titan
If your comics are in higher resolution than 1280x800, having a FHD tablet would make most small text readable without having to zoom in or having to read in landscape mode and scroll vertically though pages.

Use a 2013 Nexus 7 for a month, then go back to your previous "good enough" tablet. Chances are that you won't find your 1st-gen Kindle Fire any good anymore. At least not until you've had a few weeks to get used to its slowness again.

Tylerr

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

well i read manga more than comics and they aren't usually that large.

InvalidError

Titan
Go to Best Buy or any place that has many tablets on demonstration, try a bunch and see for yourself.

I have done this many times over the past two years and all I can say is that all the sub-$150 tablets I have personally touched felt like junk for various reasons and I would have a hard time recommending any of them. I don't like the 7" GTab A I bought either, but it was the only tablet under $200 that did not have any immediately obvious flaws rubbing me the wrong way other than having only 8GB of eMMC, half of which used by the system. That 1.5GB of RAM goes a long way towards making multi-tasking usable.

Tylerr

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

what about https://www.amazon.com/Hi8-Windows-Android-Tablet-Features/dp/B01AN6BBKI

InvalidError

Titan

Specs look good but without having tried it for myself, that's all the good there is to say. Having an 4.4 Android image does not sound like the manufacturer is going to offer much in terms of firmware support/updates, which is a red flag for me considering how many major security flaws have been found in Android since 4.4.

The Acer Iconia A1-840FHD had nice specs but its touch digitizer had at least 100ms of lag, which made using it and playing simple games frustrating due to frequently missed taps and delayed reactions. You cannot find those deal-breaking issues without hands-on time.

Since it is Fulfilled by Amazon, you can order one and try it for yourself.

Tylerr

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

eh well i don't play games on tablets so i don't need that kind of precision.

InvalidError

Titan
No need for gaming, a 100ms touch lag is irritating even for simple stuff like navigating system menus. In fact, that's exactly how I discovered the issue on the A1: I tried pulling down the notification bar and everything I did in it was severely delayed. When I visited the configuration page, half of my taps weren't detected until I figured that I had to tap slowly for my taps to register.

I didn't get to the point of wanting to try how it would behave in games before giving up on it because the touch delays while simply exploring the system UI were grating my nerves.