Best $800 build using a GTX 660

J4211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm looking to build my first computer and I was hoping I could get some advice on what components would best suit my needs. My current rig is a HP Pavilion p7-1027c that I've been using for the past few years with the following specs:

Current Build:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.10 GHz
Motherboard: Pegatron Carmel Motherboard
RAM: 6GB DDR3 -1333
GPU: MSI GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition
PSU: EVGA 500B

I'm now looking to build my own PC as I feel my processor needs an upgrade. I use my computer for a lot of 3d rendering, video and image editing, and audio recording with programs like Blender, Unity, Photoshop and Reaper. I'm also a casual gamer, but I'm not concerned with getting ultra graphics out of my rig so I'm hoping to continue using my GTX 660 to save on costs. Primarily I would like to upgrade to a processor that will be more future-proof and I would like to have at least 16GB of RAM with the option to install more. I'm looking at spending around $800 (Canadian) on the components, but I'm flexible with this price. After doing some research this weekend I've come up with the following build:

New Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0 GHz - $410
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - $100
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $110
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $55
GPU: MSI GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 OC Edition
PSU: EVGA 500B
Case: ?
Cooling: ?

Total: $675

I'm not as familiar with hardware as I am with software so please correct me if there are any flaws to be found in this build. I also have a few question about the hardware:

1. Will my EVGA 500B have enough power to safely run this build? I know it has worked fine running my GTX 660 since I installed it, but I'm not sure if the other components will be more demanding.

2. I doubt that this is possible, but would I be able to re-use my old HP case for my new build? If not, can I get away with purchasing a cheap case in order to cut costs a bit?

3. Should I be purchasing a cooler to add to this build? If so, how much should I invest in a cooling system?

I apologize for this lengthy description, but I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thank you in advance for the help!

eyehategod666

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Your GTX 660 is going to bottleneck that i7 from it's full potential. I'd recommend saving up for a new graphics card, take a look at Toms Hardware's review of the R9 380x (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-380x-nitro,4361.html) if you're going to be using a 1080p monitor.

J4211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Hi Blackbird, thanks for the info on this. I can see that the 500B isn't a solid choice of PSU. Should I be thinking about putting my money towards a higher power PSU with this build? I plan on upgrading my GPU in the future, but for the moment I'm limited by a bit of a budget. Should I be putting my money towards a higher wattage PSU right now, or should I wait until I have enough funds to upgrade by card as well?

J4211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Hi, thanks for the response! I can see what you're saying about the bottleneck between my GPU and CPU. The graphics card is definitely something I plan on upgrading in about a years time, but as it stands right now I'm running on a bit of a budget. I won't be using this rig for much gaming over the next year, so I was planning on buying a high end CPU right now, and then purchasing a GPU to match later down the road. My purpose in purchasing the i7 is to have a build that I can upgrade for the next few years, without having to fully replace. For this purpose do you think that the above components are practical?