Best 80mm case fan? 4pin vs 3pin? push/pull?

DecMax92

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi there!

Looking to install 2 80mm fans at the back of my case which is a thermal take core v1.

I currently have a corsair h60 stock fan mounted on the front; pulling air through the radiator out of the case.

I can't fit anything bigger than 80mm due to the mounts on the rear of the chassis.

Any recommendations?

I hate the colour of the Noctua fans.

Should I change the stock h60 fan to a SP corsair?

4pin vs 3pin? whats the difference?

When and if I install two 80mm fans should I set them to push air into my case?

If there's anything I've missed regarding the situation please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Thanks for the info. You are correct - your mobo has only two CHA_FAN headers, and one of them is already in use to provide power to the H60 pump unit. So, to connect two additional case fans to the one remaining CHA_FAN header, you will need a Splitter. Your mobo's CHA_FAN headers can be configured to use either DC Mode for 3-pin fans, or PM Mode for 4-pin. Since you will buy 4-pin fans, ensure you buy a 4-pin Splitter, too, and set configuration in BIOS Setup as below.

NOTE that you will need to be sure the two CHA_FAN headers are configured differently - see your manual, p. 2-36, Section 2.7.6. Each CHA_FAN header can be configures separately. For the one you plug your CPU pump unit into, set its "Q-Fan Control" to "DC Mode" and its...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Choosing 3-pin vs 4-pin fans should be based on how you plan to power and control them. If you plan to plug them into mobo fan headers and let the mobo control them automatically, you MUST match the fan type to the mobo's control system. Unfortunately, the number of pins on the mob header does not tell you what you need.

Post back here what mobo you have - maker and model - so we can look up how its fan headers work and advise. Also tell us how many fans you already have connected to that mobo, so we can help with the total system. We'll ignore your CPU fan cooler system and just assume that is already connected and working.

DecMax92

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016

• Asus z710i pro gaming mini itx
    I believe it has only a single 4 pin connector left as the cpu cooler has taken up the rest - no other fans connected.
    Through research I have decided to go with a 4 pin

I presume I'll need to get a 4 pin splitter for the two 80mm exhaust fans and another splitter for when I get two SP fans to mount on each side of the radiator?

thanks!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the info. You are correct - your mobo has only two CHA_FAN headers, and one of them is already in use to provide power to the H60 pump unit. So, to connect two additional case fans to the one remaining CHA_FAN header, you will need a Splitter. Your mobo's CHA_FAN headers can be configured to use either DC Mode for 3-pin fans, or PM Mode for 4-pin. Since you will buy 4-pin fans, ensure you buy a 4-pin Splitter, too, and set configuration in BIOS Setup as below.

NOTE that you will need to be sure the two CHA_FAN headers are configured differently - see your manual, p. 2-36, Section 2.7.6. Each CHA_FAN header can be configures separately. For the one you plug your CPU pump unit into, set its "Q-Fan Control" to "DC Mode" and its "Q-Fan Profile" to "Turbo" to ensure it always provides the full 12 VDC required by the pump. For the header you use for your case fans via Splitter, set its "Q-Fan Control" to "PWM Mode", change its "Q-Fan Source" to "MB", and set its "Q-Fan Profile" to "Standard". This will put the case ventilation fans under automatic control by this mobo header, based on temperature measured on the mobo, and not inside the CPU chip.

If you plan later to add a second fan to the H60 radiator unit, you will need another 4-pin Splitter so you can connect both of them to the mobo's CPU_FAN header. BUT you will need to be careful about the fan choice. I presume the fan already in use that came with the H60 is of the 4-pin type. The mobo manual indicates that the CPU_FAN header operates only in PWM Mode, and that means it cannot control the speed of a 3-pin fan. You should be using only 4-pin fans on that radiator, using a 4-pin Splitter.

Solution

DecMax92

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
The information you have provided is immensely appreciated, thank you!

To summarise 2 x 4 pin splitters for 2 x 4 pin 80mm exhaust fans and 2 x SP 120mm fans to mount onto the radiator.

I'll apply the configuration you've stated above.

Any recommendation for a 80mm exhaust case fan?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not really. I like Noctuas for their performance, quietness and long life. If you don't like their colour, I suspect you are looking at the two-tone brown ones. Check put some of their other lines to see if their colour is more to your liking. But there are many other makers, too. In the specs, look particularly for the air flow ratings, and the noise specs for particular speeds. The length of the warranty MAY be an indication of the maker's confidence in its lifetime.

DecMax92

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016

Im going for 2 of these to fill the dual exhaust - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NEMG62M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Two of this for the radiator - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/noctua-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM-F12-PPC/B00KESS6O0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483392703&sr=1-2&keywords=noctua+nf-f12

I'll have to get two splitters? for an additional 3 fans?

Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those are good fans/ Yes, get two Splitters. Use one to connect the pair of 120 mm fans in push/pull on the radiator to the CPU_FAN header so that they will be guided by the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. Use the other to connect the pair of 80 mm fans to one of your CHA_FAN headers so they will be guided, instead, by the temp sensor built into your mobo.

Thanks for Best Solution.

DecMax92

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
]

Thanks for the information!

Very helpful!