Question Best 850w PSU for under £110 ?

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Got a RTX 3070, I am using 2 separate 8 pin cables to power it from my Seasonic SS-650KM3 X Series. However, got a random shutdown while gaming.

https://www.cclonline.com/gp-p850gm...VmPWCO3Mfz-reCCZGmC2rCFSG9C-KLxBoCMKEQAvD_BwE

https://www.cclonline.com/bn330-be-...xsVaQz9H2kjafBf5uWHC95AEO4YjloyxoCr9wQAvD_BwE

These two seem good, but if anyone knows a reason not to get these or a better one for less than £110 that'd be great.

Am I right in thinking a multi rail PSU would be better?

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-0750-x1

About the only one that you could consider an upgrade, but isn't 850W.

EVGA 240V
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,36

I believe the Gigabyte model above is from the exploding line (OCP doesn't work right), so probably avoid that one.

be quiet! one isn't from their straight power line, so not really that good.

be quiet! 240V
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,22

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-0750-x1

About the only one that you could consider an upgrade, but isn't 850W.

EVGA 240V
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,36

I believe the Gigabyte model above is from the exploding line (OCP doesn't work right), so probably avoid that one.

be quiet! one isn't from their straight power line, so not really that good.

be quiet! 240V
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=2,0,22

Hi there, thanks for letting me know these aren't the best.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in the links you've posted. It just lists a bunch of power supplies. Are there specific EVGA or be quiet PSU's you're advising me to look at?

Hey there,

I'd go with a Corsair RMX850w and be done with checking it out, or wondering if it suits. It's a stellar PSU, and is great for RTX, and their transient power spikes.

I know it's over your budget, but it's worth it:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£134.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-09 18:07 GMT+0000

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those were so you could look at the individual ones you selected and my choice. You can also just look up any one you want that they have tested. (They are essentially a new 80+ standard that does more thorough testing) For instance, they break out the 240V and 120V testing, which is nice for people in Europe.

The reason I didn't link to specific ones is that they are downloadable PDFs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hey there,

I'd go with a Corsair RNX650w and be doe with checking it out, or wondering if it suits. It's a stellar PSU, and is great for RTX,#

RM650X is a decent choice, though I believe the goal here is to get over 650W. Great for RTX is too general a statement. That covers a wide range of power consumption.

Depending on the rest of the system, 650W might be marginal to keep the PSU from revving the fan up and getting loud. Ideally PSUs are kept between 50% and 80% load. Which admittedly for your typical gaming load, should be adequate for the 3070 and pretty much any CPU.

3070 is nominally a 200W GPU, but AIB overclock models may have different requirements, not to mention overclocking of CPU or GPU. Dual 8-pin allows up to 375W. Current late model unlocked processors can easily pull over 200W on their own.

RM650X is a decent choice, though I believe the goal here is to get over 650W. Great for RTX is too general a statement. That covers a wide range of power consumption.

Okay, a little light on details, but nonetheless the right approach.

When I mentioned they are 'great for RTX', this is true. The RTX 3xxx have high transient power spikes. RMX are very capable of handling these spikes as opposed to lets say a Seaosnic Platinum.

Given the OP has specified an 850w, the RMX is one of the best, hence the recommendation.

Sure, in this case perhaps (not knowing the full system spec) a 650w may be sufficient. But for me, I like to have a little clearance. If it were me, I'd be going for a 750w, which has some headroom for more power hungry parts down the line. 7 year warranty, that will last from this build to the next.

Ooh, sorry. In my previous post I said get a 650w and be done with it. But then priced the 850w (which is what I was actually referring to!) Sorry if that messed up my answers. I've edited that post to reflect my choices.

Edit: I got a new laptop and the keyboard is taking some time to get used to!!! :ROFLMAO:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RM850X is my PSU of choice (Though I have a much older one), a little expensive for the listed budget. RM750X is also a good choice.

Because they are one of the PSU makers that is well known and they have the 12VHPWR cables for all their modular units, they have been pretty hard to come by on the regular. Prices have been staying quite high.

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014

Depending on the rest of the system, 650W might be marginal to keep the PSU from revving the fan up and getting loud. Ideally PSUs are kept between 50% and 80% load. Which admittedly for your typical gaming load, should be adequate for the 3070 and pretty much any CPU.

3070 is nominally a 200W GPU, but AIB overclock models may have different requirements, not to mention overclocking of CPU or GPU. Dual 8-pin allows up to 375W. Current late model unlocked processors can easily pull over 200W on their own.

This is fascinating about dual 8 pin only allowing 375w - is this for every PSU?

I had my 3070 overvolted and at 113% power. Since removing these, I've not had any random shut downs. But, still think a new PSU would be a good idea for future proofing. Definitely thinking it was transient spikes that were causing it. According to gamers nexus they can be up to 2.5x the reported wattage. Which means my seasonic may have been attempting to draw 800w o_O

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Hey there,

I'd go with a Corsair RMX850w and be done with checking it out, or wondering if it suits. It's a stellar PSU, and is great for RTX, and their transient power spikes.

I know it's over your budget, but it's worth it:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£134.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-09 18:07 GMT+0000

Many thanks for the recommendation. If I'm lucky, might be able to find it a bit cheaper. If an extra £20 is what it takes to get something that's a major step up in quality then it's worth it IMO.

What specifications does this card have that makes it so good? I'd noticed you'd said it was better than a Seasonic platinum for example.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This is fascinating about dual 8 pin only allowing 375w - is this for every PSU?

I had my 3070 overvolted and at 113% power. Since removing these, I've not had any random shut downs. But, still think a new PSU would be a good idea for future proofing. Definitely thinking it was transient spikes that were causing it. According to gamers nexus they can be up to 2.5x the reported wattage. Which means my seasonic may have been attempting to draw 800w o_O

Standard PCIe x16 slot provides 75W.
6-pin PCIe power connector provides 75W (2x 12V wires
8-pin PCIe power connector provides 150W (3x 12V wires)

In reality it is more like 120W and 180W, but these are the limits of the wiring specified by the ATX standard.

New 12VHPWR connector (12 pin (dumb) or 16 pin (semi-smart)) can deliver up to 600W, but that will vary by the cable.

Yes, power spikes were probably the root cause of your problems.