Best AC Router for ATT Gigabit

djjaybay

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Hi everyone - new here -

I just got ATT Gigapower (i know, they're packet sniffing, whatever)

What do you guys suggest for a good router around $150? I was looking at the WRT-AC1900 or the Asus RT-AC68P

Is 1900 worth it?

Thanks

Solution
Maybe it depends on your end devices. They would have to contain 3 antenna to effectively use the features. Many mobile devices only contain 2 and some (Iphone) do not support the non standard encoding that lets these devices claim 400 or 600m speeds.

Still no wireless connection will even think to keep up with a gigabit connection. You will need to run on a ethernet connection if you expect to get much over 300mbits.

Also on very fast connections like you have you have to be careful about using some of the firewall and qos feature. To get the speeds modern routers use a hardware assist feature they bypasses part of the main cpu. They can easily transfer 900mbits of traffic when running in that mode. If you try to filter...
Maybe it depends on your end devices. They would have to contain 3 antenna to effectively use the features. Many mobile devices only contain 2 and some (Iphone) do not support the non standard encoding that lets these devices claim 400 or 600m speeds.

Still no wireless connection will even think to keep up with a gigabit connection. You will need to run on a ethernet connection if you expect to get much over 300mbits.

Also on very fast connections like you have you have to be careful about using some of the firewall and qos feature. To get the speeds modern routers use a hardware assist feature they bypasses part of the main cpu. They can easily transfer 900mbits of traffic when running in that mode. If you try to filter the traffic your speed will drop because all the packets now pass though the cpu. Even a simple feature like the amount of traffic passing though the router is hidden by this hardware assist. Some port forwarding rules also force you back into cpu mode.

Just one of those things people with a gigabit connection need to be aware of when selecting routers. This is one of those things that there is not a huge amount of information yet because most people do not have internet connections that can exceed the 250mbits you get in high end routers using just the cpu.

Solution