Best access point device for Asus router and USB adapter?

daisuk

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys! I just got a new apartment, got a poor WIFI signal in the office room (it's the farthest away from the ethernet plug, which of course is silly, but not much to do about it). I got an Asus RTAC-1200G+ router, and on the receiving end on my computer, an Asus USB-AC51 adapter to receive the signal. There's a big concrete wall on the one side of the room between the office and the living room (where the WIFI router is), which seems to be the major culprit in blocking the signal, or at least making it weak.

I also have an old Asus RT-N12 - could I possibly use this as an access point between the main router and the usb adapter? I know I should probably just run the ethernet cable along the walls or move the router, but it includes major hassle moving objects around in the house, which I'd rather not do, if there's a simpler solution.

Anyways, would an access point maybe help me with this? If I stand in a straight line from the router, I get excellent signal - but as soon as I go around the corner from the signal (on the other side of the concrete wall), it's very weak, so I figured placing an access point at the bend could maybe work? And if so, which type would you recommend with my setup?

I don't know. I should probably just run the cable, but it just seem like such a hassle at this point, so looking for alternatives. All suggestions welcomed! :)

Solution
Hey, thanks! It turns out my nt12 doesn't have an extender mode, it's a d1. But I've also figured out it's the WiFi adapter that's the culprit. It's basically just useless. Ordered a pci-e card for the desktop computer now, I reckon it will be better. Thanks!
You should just run the cable ... but until you do, the RT-N12 does have a range extender mode. If you can place the RT somewhere it has near line of sight to both the computer and router it should work (at least no concrete wall between the RT and other stuff). You may need to plug the RT into your computer via Ethernet to configure it.

daisuk

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hey, thanks! It turns out my nt12 doesn't have an extender mode, it's a d1. But I've also figured out it's the WiFi adapter that's the culprit. It's basically just useless. Ordered a pci-e card for the desktop computer now, I reckon it will be better. Thanks!

Solution