Question Best adapter for 1.5gbps internet ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
My internet speed is 1.5gbps..my desktop has a 1gbps ethernet port.

Should I get a 2.5gbps USB to ethernet adapter ? Or a 2.5gbps PCIE card ?

If USB adapters work well, Which brand do you recommend ?

Lutfij

Titan
my desktop has a 1gbps ethernet port
Might want to parse the make and model of your motherboard for greater context. Please add the make and model of your chassis as well, in case we might run into clearance issues when suggesting an add-on card(if any).

As for suggestions on what to buy, can you state where you're located and how much you're looking to spend on an adapter?

So I will first assume your router has a 2.5 or faster lan port you can connect to and also that the fiber or cable runs directly to the router/modem ?

If you can use a internal PCIE card it will likely be simpler to get good results. USB gets messy because there are so many variations and some port run at different speeds. You would need USB 3 at minimum but rather than deal with the mess of which USB port has which features I would just use a internal card.

Do not be surprised that there is almost nothing on the internet that will run that fast. Maybe the speedtest site but many other sites either can't run that fast or have artificail limitations on them to protect the servers from being overloaded by a small number of users with fast connections.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
So I will first assume your router has a 2.5 or faster lan port you can connect to and also that the fiber or cable runs directly to the router/modem ?

If you can use a internal PCIE card it will likely be simpler to get good results. USB gets messy because there are so many variations and some port run at different speeds. You would need USB 3 at minimum but rather than deal with the mess of which USB port has which features I would just use a internal card.

Do not be surprised that there is almost nothing on the internet that will run that fast. Maybe the speedtest site but many other sites either can't run that fast or have artificail limitations on them to protect the servers from being overloaded by a small number of users with fast connections.

My modem has a 10gbE port and I am running an ethernet cable from it to my PC.

Is there a performance difference between a USB and a PCIE ethernet adapter ?

Although it likely can be sure the port can run 2.5/5/10gbit. Some 10gbit ports only run 10.

They are likely the same as long as you use the correct USB 3 port. It is so confusing that they keep changing the names I mean it is 3.1 gen 1 or 3.2 1x1 or whatever they call it lately. PCIE slots are easy to tell if they will work/fit.

There web sites is pretty much useless. It is hard to say exactly which hardware unit they use and even when you find them they have stupid web pages with common asked questions rather than a manual you can look up tech specs in.

I would call the idiots and ask them.

I will add that @bill001g is correct that some 10 Gb NICs don't run 2.5 Gb, so be careful there. Probably more important to your question though is this: USB average throughput, if and only if it is the right connector (something USB3+) can achieve the average throughput needed, and this is only if you do not share the root HUB with another device (this HUB is internal to the motherboard, and you might be sharing it with other USB3 devices without knowing it in some cases). However, a PCIe card would be superior in terms of latency.

Going with PCIe completely cuts out the USB path and will be lower latency. IMHO, the reliability will also go up.