[SOLVED] Best affordable long range router+modem?

Northwain

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I'm having trouble finding a suitable router that is not only long range but also not overpriced. I found the TP-Link AC1900 which is a very good price overall but it isn't a router+modem, it's just a router... Then I found the TP-LINK Archer D9 AC1900 which is basically the first router I listed but with the modem as well. That said, is there any others that I should have on my radar?

Please keep in mind that I need it to be long range, be a router+modem and be around £120 or less ideally. Although, I am willing to go a little higher on price provided that it's worth it.

Solution

May I suggest, is to use that router/modem combo and simply disable the WIFI on it - then get a long range AP (access point), I am actually doing this since I did not get good 5ghz coverage in my townhome.

I am using the UniFi UAP-AC-LR which is touted as a long-range AP, connected to my FIOS Quantum router with the router wifi disabled - and I can say it absolutely works as advertised. I have tried several routers using AC1200, AC1750 and AC1900 without success - spotty coverage, dropouts, etc very disappointed. With the AP I now get full 5ghz in my entire townhouse (save one room that drops only 1 bar...

kanewolf

Titan
I would recommend you find a separate modem and router rather than a combo. You might save a few $$$ but you limit your choices too much. Your ISP should provide a list of approved modems for the service you signed up for. Combo units are difficult to reuse if you change ISP providers from DSL to fiber or coax. Get a separate modem.

Northwain

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Thank you for the reply. That said, I have another router+modem, so would it be possible to use that as my modem for the new router I intend to buy?

kanewolf

Titan

Unknown. You would want to use it in "bridge" mode. You can google the model and bridge mode for instructions on converting it to a modem only.

May I suggest, is to use that router/modem combo and simply disable the WIFI on it - then get a long range AP (access point), I am actually doing this since I did not get good 5ghz coverage in my townhome.

I am using the UniFi UAP-AC-LR which is touted as a long-range AP, connected to my FIOS Quantum router with the router wifi disabled - and I can say it absolutely works as advertised. I have tried several routers using AC1200, AC1750 and AC1900 without success - spotty coverage, dropouts, etc very disappointed. With the AP I now get full 5ghz in my entire townhouse (save one room that drops only 1 bar, but very good performance nonetheless) and 1/2 strength signal in my backyard.

Looking at amazon UK that model can be had for just under £93 from amazon prime, pretty good deal... Have had mine for a couple of years I paid $120 when it was new. It is easily managed with their phone app.

Solution