Best air cooler for existing build without removing MB

bradenthefirst

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I am interested in upgrading the air cooling of an existing build. Aesthetics aren't that important to me, but convenience is. I would love to find something I can install without having to disassemble the entire build.

Perhaps the Hyper212, or something from Noctua?

Here is what I have:
CPU: i7-8700
MB: Asus TUF Z-370 Plus Gaming
Case: Corsair 200R
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 2x8gb

I have only ever used the stock coolers, and been fairly happy, but pondering an upgrade without too much hassle.

Thanks!

Solution

I dont know exactly what your budget is or the reason for needing better cooling besides obvious reasons but if your just looking to improve overall temps, maybe your getting a bit high temps in games or under load, or maybe...

I dont know exactly what your budget is or the reason for needing better cooling besides obvious reasons but if your just looking to improve overall temps, maybe your getting a bit high temps in games or under load, or maybe you wanna do some light overclocking..

If thats the case... The Cooler Master Hyper T2 is only 16.99$ and if you have Amazon and a debit/credit card you can make a throwaway Amazon account, get a prime trial and get the free 2 day shipping.

I just got this cooler and before I got the cooler my BIOS told me I was at 50c .. which Im not sure was accurate being its a AMD APU and their know the have bad temp readings outside of AMD Overdrive...

Anyways after the install, the BIOS read 38c.... And for me, thats all I wanted to see lol so it was worth it for me. It keeps temps cooler in games, and keeps my temps at around 55-60c under 100% load stress testing.

So if your on a budget and just looking for a normal boost in thermal performance... Id recommend the Cooler Master Hyper T2. Also very easy to install. Id suggest buying some aftermarket thermal paste along with it.

Here are links

Hyper T2 Cooler- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7809O2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great thermal paste for a good deal (paste is rated 2nd for best thermal paste of 2018) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RNBFMG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution

The case has a cutout to mount CPU coolers so you won't have to remove the MB.

Here is a good one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $34.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-02 22:50 EDT-0400