Best airflow direction for CM Sniper Case (Original)/Liquid Cooler

adamsabado

Prominent
Jul 12, 2018
Hello,

I have this case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/sniper/

Had it for about 10 years and I love it. I have recently replaced all the fans and am in the process of adding the optional side fans, and also replacing my 212 EVO cooler with an EVGA 120 CLC AIO liquid cooler i bought on Amazon yesterday.

The fan on the bottom of the case points up to bring air in. The fan on the front points inward as well. I have the fans on the top blowing air out the top. Is this the best airflow configuration? I have never used a liquid cooler before but i understand it has a "radiator" where it somehow transfers the heat to a fan to blow the hot air away. Should i put that fan on the top pointing out, or on the back of the case pointing out? In your experience, do you think this liquid cooler will do a better job than the 212 EVO?

I use HWMONITOR to watch the temps. Should i be looking at the one where it's combined with the MB (which i understand is the socket temp), or the CPU core temp?

Thanks!

Solution
Unless you have a customized case, outward/exhaust for rear and top, inward/intake for side and front any other. Only intake fans should have filters. Remove it for exhaust.

The radiator is the equivalent of a heatsink. The fans cool it down by blowing air to it. You want that hot air out of the case. The best position for radiator should be rear.

It might perform better but it won't perform worse. You should have bought 240mm or 360mm. Do note that liquid cooling, unlike your regular heatsink that heats up instantly and stabilizes, gets hot slowly overtime (15+ minute).

CPU temp is the one below mainboard temp (motherboard tab).

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Unless you have a customized case, outward/exhaust for rear and top, inward/intake for side and front any other. Only intake fans should have filters. Remove it for exhaust.

The radiator is the equivalent of a heatsink. The fans cool it down by blowing air to it. You want that hot air out of the case. The best position for radiator should be rear.

It might perform better but it won't perform worse. You should have bought 240mm or 360mm. Do note that liquid cooling, unlike your regular heatsink that heats up instantly and stabilizes, gets hot slowly overtime (15+ minute).

CPU temp is the one below mainboard temp (motherboard tab).

Solution