Best airflow solution for air starved GPU

Bill2002

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I am using a stock HP envy case, and I've got a 970 that could use a little more air sometimes. I was thinking about mounting a fan on the side panel, but it's only about 2-3 inches wide and about 2 inches tall. Small vented grill, but it's one of the only ways I can think of to get some fresh air in that upper compartment. I was looking at an Antec SpotCool fan, but It's a little expensive for a fan, so I thought about going with a blower fan and mounting it in the side of the upper top. The video card fans face upwards on the case, and the only vents are on either side of the panel. What would be the best way to suck a little more air through the panel?

Solution
Not sure what you mean when you say a stock HP Envy case... The HP Envy series are laptops, no? If it's an actual desktop type case, does it have any 5.25" bays? If so, there are systems that allow you to mount a 120mm fan system in there. Couple that with an exhaust fan, and it should increase airflow through your case. Other than that, you could try mounting a 120mm fan in front of the GPU at the front of the case to blow some air over it, and let the GPU fans deal with exhausting the rest of the air.

danonymoosecat

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Not sure what you mean when you say a stock HP Envy case... The HP Envy series are laptops, no? If it's an actual desktop type case, does it have any 5.25" bays? If so, there are systems that allow you to mount a 120mm fan system in there. Couple that with an exhaust fan, and it should increase airflow through your case. Other than that, you could try mounting a 120mm fan in front of the GPU at the front of the case to blow some air over it, and let the GPU fans deal with exhausting the rest of the air.

Solution