Best AM3+ Board For Overclocking?

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Currently I'm using a MSI 990FXA-GD80 board with an AM3 processor (AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE) and I was just wondering if changing to a different mobo would make a difference to overclocking.

I have heard people say the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 is a brilliant board for overclocking, so is the Asus Sabertooth 990FXA R2 and the Asus Crosshair V formula. How do the 3 compare to MSI's top variant of the chipset?

I'm sitting comfortably at 4.1GHz for the 965BE on the MSI board however it seems no matter what I try I can't get a stable overclock above that (FYI i'm using air cooling). To be honest, heat isn't an issue as it doesn't go past 55C even during a 3 hour Prime95 stress test, I believe it's down to how well the board distributes the power around the board which would determine the stability of the overclock. It's not vital by any means that I overclock past this point, but I would of thought it would be a good way of testing the quality and stability of each board with how much you can push the processor.

Anyone have knowledge of these boards and are able to compare? Also, I'm not looking to buy a new board as I would just buy a new processor, just looking for comparitive information

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
I have the Sabertooth 990FX R2 and i will have to say its the best board i've ever used. It's got so many features like thermal readers and "tuff" compasitors. I have the FX 8120 3.1ghz black edition in it and i have it over clocked to 4.1 no problem, its so simple to overclock it in the bios.

I dont know about the other boards but this one i can honestly say is the best board i've purchased i almost got the crosshair V formula but it was an extra $100, so i decided on the sabertooth and im so glad i did! Hope this helps!

FYI: My processor is liquid cooled via Antec kuhler 920, not fan cooled.