Best Am3 Motherboard for me?

xassassinx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Okay, i'm rebuilding my PC and a very kind friend of mine who is scrapping his old PC said he'll give me his AMD Phenom II x6 (1100t) and the stock heat sink... Thats all good and well but my motherboard cannot support it, so i need a motherboard that can, but sadly, i know nothing about motherboards. Thats why i have come to the wise ones at tom's hardware to help me out.

Here are what i basically want to put into the computer;

Amd Phenom II X6 3.3GHZ (1100t) (1x)
^Stock Fan
Nvidia Geforce Gtx 560 (1x) (He's Giving that to me aswell)
Nvidia 8800GT (1x)
2GB, 240-pin DIMM Ram Drives (4x)
1 TB Hardrive Space (1x)
Netgear Wirless Adapter (1x) (Now this one is optional, i can run a wire through my other room but i'd rather not)

If anyone can reccomend me a good Motherboard for me that i can fit insert all of that on. I shall be inserting this into a Dell XPS 630I tower. This PC is going to be used primarily for gaming, but as well as normal stuff like typing up school papers.
Can you please try and be cost effective, and if you can give me a link to the website. Much Obliged sirs.

I also have some questions about getting a new motherboard if you guys can help me out;
By installing a new motherboard, will i have to wipe all my hard drive memory?
Will the new motherboard effect my Hard Drive Memory?

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
No, your hard drive contents will remain intact. However, if Windows is installed on it, you might have to activate it again (if it's the OEM version), since the serial number is attached to the motherboard.

What is your budget and do you want to possibly ever get another GTX 560 card to set up SLI?

xassassinx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
No, i won't really like to get another card, i used to have 2 8800's, but since my buddy is giving me one 560 i figured ill just remove one 8800 and replace it. And uhh i'm not sure if i will set up SLI, but probably, can i with 2 diffrent cards?

xassassinx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Will that motherboard do fit all the things above?

Also, How like fast is it, or what are the diffrences betwen motherboards in general?

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

It will fit your CPU, but I don't have enough info about your RAM or even your hard drive.

Also, keep in mind that you very well might need to upgrade your power supply. That's of utmost importance. With this setup, you should shoot for 550w from a reputable company. What's your current power supply?

As far as the differences, I'm not a motherboard expert. But it is definitely compatible with your CPU (which is a pretty nice one, by the way) and a decent price and well reviewed. A lot of the major differences people look for on a motherboard have to do with the number and types of ports, as well as its ability to crossfire/SLI.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
For a motherboard, I would go with asus hands down. I've had problems with gigabyte and MSI, haven't tried Asrock or EVGA, but in any case, I would suggest something like an Asus M4A87TD series motherboard, but since AM3+ supports those CPUs, there's no reason not to get an M5 series motherboard. Only thing to watch out for is if that tower fits full-ATX boards in.