[SOLVED] Best AM3+ motherboard

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Hello everyone I'm curious what the best AM3+ motherboard (with two SLI slots) that's around? I recently bought two junk motherboards off of eBay and have about $125-150 to play with, thanks.

Solution
Or, instead of wasting 200 bucks on an antiquated platform with poor performance, you can save up 100 more and get a system thats far superior.
Also enjoy melting the VRMs on that motherboard trying to run the 8350.
How much have you set aside for cooling not only a 125w processor, but also the poorly designed VRM on the motherboard?

Yes it fits your current budget. That does not make it a smart move.
Save up until you can build a proper system, dont cut corners.
What CPU?

Another thought, the best AM3+ motherboard is the one you sell. They don't make those anymore, so all the good ones are gone or selling on eBay for a higher price. Plus, there is no "good" CPU for AM3+. They use a lot of power and are quite slow compared to current entry-level CPUs.

PS: SLI isn't very good either. The only good SLI setup is 2x RTX 2080 Ti or 2x Titan RTX because there is always a single card that will outperform a dual-card setup at a similar price while using less power and producing less heat.

Conclusion: I don't recommend spending any more money on a slow and obsolete platform. Consider selling what you have and buying a new Ryzen or Intel setup.

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
I understand the SLI setup isn't the best option I'm doing it because I've never done it before that's why I was curious as to which motherboard I should be looking for.

It seems Newegg doesn't have any SLI supported motherboards in that chipset, as far as CPUs are concerned there's still AMD FXs on eBay..brand new. So what do you suggest outside of what you already suggested?

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
The CPU and RAM total $100 extra on top of whichever motherboard I can find in that price range WITH SLI.

I saw an Asus M5 R2.0 for about that price but I'm sketched out buying another motherboard off of eBay that isn't new.

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Ok i understand where you're going with that but the lower end Ryzen 3s cost about $100/pop and then adding whichever RAM ontop of that is gonna be another 50-75 that puts me over budget and motherboard-less.

I found a micro atx Asus M5A78L for about $70 pair that up with a FX8350 with valu-ram brings me to just under $200 would that be a wise setup until I can dish out the $$ for the MSI motherboard with a Ryzen 3/5?

Or, instead of wasting 200 bucks on an antiquated platform with poor performance, you can save up 100 more and get a system thats far superior.
Also enjoy melting the VRMs on that motherboard trying to run the 8350.
How much have you set aside for cooling not only a 125w processor, but also the poorly designed VRM on the motherboard?

Yes it fits your current budget. That does not make it a smart move.
Save up until you can build a proper system, dont cut corners.

Solution
VRMs are voltage regulation modules, they basically power the processor.
They get fairly hot when trying to supply alot of power, which the AM3+ platform demands alot of power.
The motherboard you chose has no heatsinks on top of the VRMs meaning it has next to zero ability to get rid of this heat.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

No. That is a waste of $200.

If the whole thing were $50 total, I'd still call it a waste.

That money is better saved aside until you can get a modern platform.