Best AM3 Processor

murlik

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi guys,

A friend of mine have me a gaming computer, which I want to fix up and give to a friend of mine that is really tight on cash. What's the best AM2/Am2+/AM3 Processor I can get for the money that will clock 3 Ghz or more? It currently has a 550 Rosewill PSU, Asus M4A78 Pro, 4 GB Ram, and a Firegl V7700. I'm going to double the ram and probably put in an Rx 460.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
Like others have mentioned, don't go over 95W. The motherboard isn't really up to handling anything more. Instead, find the fastest Phenom II processor with a 95W TDP that you can get. They aren't in production anymore, however, so it's hard to give a specific recommendation.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If this is the motherboard in question, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78_PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/
...this is the CPU support list for it.
The fastest CPUs are the Phenom II X4 and X6 processors. The higher the number, the faster the processor. But they are all obsolete now and need to be searched out used on places like ebay. And you may get lucky and even find a new one being offered. That's how I got my Phenom II X4 965BE.

Like others have mentioned, don't go over 95W. The motherboard isn't really up to handling anything more. Instead, find the fastest Phenom II processor with a 95W TDP that you can get. They aren't in production anymore, however, so it's hard to give a specific recommendation.

Solution