Best AM3 processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I currently have a phenom II x4 970 and wanted to know what is the best possible upgrade for my am3 motherboard. Its a msi 890 fxa gd70 if you need to know the model.

to those suggesting a 2500k, i would prefer to just upgrade my current CPU if possible since it'll be cheaper than buying a 2500k+decent mobo

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
^ Agreed. If your looking for an upgrade just to upgrade, the 1100T is a great chip and overclocks very easily. On stock voltages, I usually get 3.8 out of them on the stock cooler. Not to shabby! With better cooling, 4-4.2 is realistic.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
even changing from a X4 970 to a 2500k isnt going to offer HUGH real world gaming performance.

better off save the $$$ and spend it on a video card.

I have a 1100T and friend with 965BE, very simmular performance, specialy in games.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
if i was you i would stay as you are and sae your money and upgrade the board and chip later when the new AMD stuff comes out and the current stuff drops in price.

that chip you have is a good chip, i still have the AMD Phenom II 955BE in a back up machine i take to lan parties, never does anything wrong

also i have the AMD 1090T and the FX8150 and the Intel 3930K its obvious the intel is best but for just gaming the chip you have and what i have are all good enough but some would actually save the FX-8150 is a pile of shite, personnaly i think its good but not as good as it should or could have been, but then again people forget AMD dont have Intel money ;)

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
gaming/streaming/making movies with fraps footage and general computing is what ill be using it for.

So anyways, 1100t is the top dog for AM3 socket? If i cant find one would a 1055t/1090t suffice?

for gaming you already have 1 of the better offerings from amd. only the 980 is better in the phenom 2 range. dont waste your time or money on anything else. the octa cores and hexa cores just aint gaming parts. there great for budget productivity like photoshop but when it comes to games the phenom 2 is still king of the hill for price and power.

it really is not worth having 2-4 extra cores that will be sitting doing nothing except consuming power 99 percent of the time...

save your money or splurge on a new gpu, which will give more of a performance boost in games relative to a new cpu.

ddli

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
right, but wouldnt the extra 2 cores from a 1100t benefit me when im rendering/encoding/streaming?

Like, i only get 10 fps when im streaming sc2 @ 2560x1440
i have a phenom II x4 970
gtx 580
and a 15 mbps upload speed. The only thing i could think of that was bottlenecking me was my cpu

don't stream at 2560x1440............

your viewers won't even be able to see that.

the 1100t will not help you stream sc2, just lower your settings you can check your cpu ussage, you are still being blocked by the ram/ 580 and hard drive.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
what cooling system you have
i think best thing is to overclock this cpu with a water cooling settup which you can use in any system in future, so if you don't have a water cooling setup then upgrading to water cooling setup and overclocking it to 4-4.5g is a good upgrade

for cpu upgrade, you only have x6 cpu like 1100t , but is only benificial in multi threaded task.

Status
Not open for further replies.