[SOLVED] Best am4 motherboard?

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Do you guys think its good to look for deals for a am4 motherboard (used/new) to prep for ryzen 3rd gen? If so, what would be some to look out for? Or would the new am4 boards that will come out with ryzen 3rd gen have new features that will boost performance and make it worth it to buy?

Solution
An existing AM4 board will require a BIOS update. That means you may have to have a compatible CPU before your 3rd gen Ryzen. If you are going to be an early adopter of 3rd gen, then get a new motherboard after the CPU has been out for a month or so. That is how you get a motherboard that will boot the first time.

kanewolf

Titan
An existing AM4 board will require a BIOS update. That means you may have to have a compatible CPU before your 3rd gen Ryzen. If you are going to be an early adopter of 3rd gen, then get a new motherboard after the CPU has been out for a month or so. That is how you get a motherboard that will boot the first time.

Solution

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

oh youre right. I didnt think of that woops. Well lets say I have a ryzen cpu that i can use to update bios. What would be a good one to look out for? or is it still better to jus wait for new motherboards that will come out with it cus it might have new features that old ones wont have?

If the specific purpose for this new mobo purchase is to put a 3rd gen Ryzen processor on it I suggest waiting until they come out just to see if any new boards also come out tailored to it's operation.

It may not matter, but then again it might and you don't need it till then so why buy something you could possibly wind up regretting however remote it may seem at the moment.