Best AMD CPU for gaming

Solution

I would not recommend AMD for gaming. While benchmark (all) core/thread performance is nice for the price, individual ones are left in the gutter, and most games you'd be playing likely rely on use of 2/3 strong cores/threads.

A "mobo" stands for MOtherBOard. It's the link of all the components ; drives, CPU, RAM, video card, all connect to that and work together there so to speak. Obviously you need one.

So do you have one already? If you need just an AMD CPU, you'll need a motherboard with socket AM3+ for better results. Still, I'd say save up money and...

I would not recommend AMD for gaming. While benchmark (all) core/thread performance is nice for the price, individual ones are left in the gutter, and most games you'd be playing likely rely on use of 2/3 strong cores/threads.

A "mobo" stands for MOtherBOard. It's the link of all the components ; drives, CPU, RAM, video card, all connect to that and work together there so to speak. Obviously you need one.

So do you have one already? If you need just an AMD CPU, you'll need a motherboard with socket AM3+ for better results. Still, I'd say save up money and buy a NEW CPU next year. AMD's latest FX line is FOUR, going on FIVE years old as of now and a cheaper Intel i3 will do the job just as well. Next year they (AMD) will release a more improved line that might be worth looking at.

Solution

SD Phantom

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015

Yeah I have a mobo already. Its a AM3+. I have a FX 6300 right now. I would love to switch to intel but I dont think you can put a intel cpu in a AM3+ mobo

You're right, you cannot. I would suggest waiting and saving more money, because a new AMD FX probably won't give desirable results for the price.

If you have a decent board/CPU cooler I suggest overclocking a little if you're dissatisfied with performance. If not, don't rush to get one, just wait.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Well, the best bet for an AMD chip to replace your FX-6300 is going to be one of the FX-8300 line, of course. Tom's recommends the FX-8300 still as a mid-range chip (most likely because the price is low, ~$105 USD), but its stock speeds are slightly below the 6300's. A better choice would be at least the FX-8320 (same core speeds but 8 cores instead of 6), or the FX-8350/8370 (8 cores plus higher core speeds).

However, that assumes your motherboard can handle them. If you can find the model of your motherboard (which should be on the cover of your user's manual), you can usually find on the manufacturer's website a list of the CPUs that will work with your board. This is important because not all Socket AM3+ boards are created equal. Some can run any FX chip (including the pre-overclocked FX-9000 series, also known as "space heaters from Heck"); although I wouldn't recommend getting the pre-OCd CPUs, a board that can handle them can easily be used to manually overclock just about any FX chip out there. Other boards can handle any of the non-OCd chips, but aren't really designed for overclocking; they'll still work well with the 8-core chips, & if you have one you still have some upgrading life left in it. Other boards, however, are limited to the "95W" chips: they can handle your FX-6300 chip, & even the low-power "underclocked" FX-8320e/8370e chips, but they can't handle the full power FX-8300 chips.

Knowing which board you have lets us better advise you on whether there's any possibility of improving your current FX chip, or if you're better off saving up for a complete replacement (possibly even waiting for Zen chips to come out).