[SOLVED] Best AMD CPU for GTX 750 Ti?

Jan 22, 2019
My current build:

EMX-A70FM2+iCafe
GTX 750 Ti
AMD a8 7650k
8GB Ram

I think my cpu bottlenecks my gpu, what would be the best cpu for my motherboard and gpu?
I play PUBG and other online games.

Edit: Additional information about my build, I got two monitors for this build
one for the gtx 750 ti and one for the integrated graphics. does this affect the
performance of cpu and the gpu?

Solution
You already have a quad core FM2+ CPU, there's not much point to getting another one even if it is 'faster'.

The 750 Ti should be fine at 1080p in older games. In newer games it's really a 720p gaming card. You make it sound like you think the 750 Ti is a lot more powerful than it really is.

edit: I missed the PUBG line somehow lol. In that case yeah your CPU and 750 Ti are underpowered. Stick with 720p low for games like that. A new platform, AMD or Intel, is the only thing that'll help.
There is no CPU you can upgrade to on that platform that is going to give you a performance gain worth spending money on. It's also pretty doubtful that your current CPU is bottlenecking that graphics card to any noticeable degree. They are actually fairly evenly matched. I think your problem is likely either a driver issue or simply a lack of having hardware that is capable of doing what you want them to do.

I'd start by doing THIS:

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

And if that doesn't help, then I'd say you might want to consider a whole platform upgrade at some point. The Athlon X4-880k is probably the strongest CPU for your platform in terms of single core performance. But unless you can find one cheap enough on the used market, from a reasonably trustworthy seller, it's not worth buying new. That is money that would be better spent being put towards a newer platform.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Is that a 470FM2 or an A70FM2 Motherboard, because according to google, that first one doesn't exist. Still, looking for a suitable FM2+ socket motherboard...

Take a look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/socketType.html#id16

I'm just about out of time tonight, so me making a good recommendation may not be the best, but I'll give it a shot:
-AMD Athlon X4 860K

Less useless cores and the useful ones are more powerful... so the motherboard should be alright with the power draw... I think.
Good luck, hopefully someone else gets a good word in on this.

Edit: darkbreeze, you type fast.

You already have a quad core FM2+ CPU, there's not much point to getting another one even if it is 'faster'.

The 750 Ti should be fine at 1080p in older games. In newer games it's really a 720p gaming card. You make it sound like you think the 750 Ti is a lot more powerful than it really is.

edit: I missed the PUBG line somehow lol. In that case yeah your CPU and 750 Ti are underpowered. Stick with 720p low for games like that. A new platform, AMD or Intel, is the only thing that'll help.

Solution
Jan 22, 2019

Haha yeah I somewhat think 750 Ti is powerful. maybe upgrading the whole thing would be the solution.

Agree with this. It's how I upgraded from an Athlon x4 760k. Kept my GTX 750 ti when graphics card prices were crazy, and got one when they fell back down to normal levels.

Honestly though, graphics cards are at the end of a cycle right now for BOTH AMD and Nvidia. Prices on them are about as low compared to MSRP as you're ever going to see them. Memory prices however are expected to potentially fall another 20% in the coming months.

I think I'd try to grab myself the best graphics card I could, right now, and then worry about updating the platform afterwards in a few weeks or months. With the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series Zen 2 CPUs slated to arrive at some point, the prices on existing Ryzen CPUs should for a short time after that happens, also reduce in price. I think about two months out will be a very good time to pull the trigger on a Ryzen CPU, memory and motherboard, and that right now, before existing stock on the Nvidia 1000 series and AMD RX 500 series cards disappears, would be a substantially cost effective time to buy one of those.

jitendrad

Notable
Dec 28, 2018
I strongly suggest you to first upgrade motherboard then go for CPU upgrade. I don't think your current motherboard is capable to handle latest AMD processor. Also for AMD CPU you can go with Ryzen3 or ryzen 5 but iThink ryzen 5 might bottleneck with your your current GPU

I'm sorry, but this is both right, and wrong. You are correct in your belief that his motherboard doesn't support the latest AMD processors, because those are AM4 socket processors and his board is FM2+, however you are terribly wrong in believing that a Ryzen 5 processor is going to be a "bottleneck" to any graphics card that isn't a top shelf, high tiered card and even then it would still offer miles better performance than any FM2+ or AM3/3+ platform.

A Ryzen 3 would be more likely to cause somewhat of an imbalance than a Ryzen 5, as it has fewer cores and threads, but even so it would be an improvement over his current configuration.