Best and Worst Laptop Brands 2016

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAlmightyProo

Distinguished
May 3, 2015

Ikr? My HP has been ridiculously hot and loud too. Straining the fan like crazy doing nothing. I've checked and double checked but no viruses/malware and not clogged with dust. It's always been hot and noisy but is getting worse.
Maybe it's the AMD A6 in it? I've heard AMD run hot but this is silly.

Say What

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

They just don't know how to properly design a cooling system. Their solution is to have the fan spin all the time. They still get ridiculously hot. You NEED a cooling pad under those. I've also had quite a few Macbook Pro's with dead motherboards within the last year. They were less than 3 years old. The best laptops were the Toshiba ones from about 3-5 years ago. Those were bullet proof. Right now Lenovo is the top brand IMO. They are constructed well and have no issues. Asus is another brand that has bad reliability now. I'm constantly replacing motherboards and mouse buttons on them. The hinges screw down into the cheapest plastic I've ever seen. I've been repairing computers for 15 years now. This is just what I see on a day to day basis. You can't go by these stupid reviews. In 2013 Square Trade did a reliability report. They gave Asus the number 1 spot. Many of those Asus laptops died at around the 2 year mark.

Say What

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Also look at the way they review these laptops. LENOVO falls down to 6th after they loaded the superfish software which was supposed to be malicious. They stopped doing that when people complained. How does that say anything about the design and reliability.

Adam_8

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
5 laptops I had in my life:
Toshiba 486 black and white - real oldschool, cant really compare to anything today
Acer 2000 - great laptop, still works
Acer 2007 - great laptop, still works, even though it has fallen off of a car at 100km/h and still lives!
Acer Aspire S7 2014 - great laptop, my current machine.

My only complaint is that the two latter Acers have shitty touchpads - I dont know why, but it looks like design over utility issue

and then my favourite Dell Alienware M14x R2 - NEVER AGAIN!
premium laptop with nonexistent tech support, I never really gotten any help from dell even though that thing was full of hardware and software issues. That was one bad buy - I would probably be better off with another acer :)

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I've had an Alienware 18, Acer As9810, Acer AS 8950G, an i3 Acer , 2 Sagers one with Pentium M processor and other with a P4 processor., one boutique brand and a Hitachi laptop.

When I started buying laptops the processors were desktops 1 generation behind now they release a notebook and a desktop version on the same processors.

NeoneedsaPC

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I have a ASUS G751JY,and i've nver seen a better Laptop.I dont know HOW they come to the idea to rank ASUS and Acer back there.I'am just sad now.They should see if something is true before they post it somewhere.My meaning.

whiteruski

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
How is tech support rated out of 20 where as value is rated 5 and build quality is not even on the list?

I think users should assign the weights to each category. Submit a poll to have users assign weights to each category and then rerun the numbers and lets see who comes out on top. It should be interesting!

jkenhu

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015

i agree with the gaming part. my MSI gaming notebook is ROCK!!

Spacebawls

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
The moment I saw "Reviews" having 20pts I knew the ranking is BS.

Aren't Apple on TN ? And Mercedes cars sucks fyi. None are reliable. Apple is reliable. The comparison should be more like Apple are Lexus and you are buying Volkswagen/Chrysler/GM

The Macbook Airs are TN. That's why I don't recommend them unless you're desperate to have a glowing fruit cutout on the lid of your laptop. In fact outside of the $300-$500 price range, the TN panels on most PC laptops are better than the MBA TN panels (roughly 50% sRGB vs 70%-80% sRGB).

Some of the older Macbook Pros were TN, but they're all IPS now. The MBPs are specifically designed for graphics and photo/video professionals (cover 100% sRGB), and Apple caught a lot of flak for the old TN panels on them (they color-shift with viewing angle, which is unacceptable for anyone working in these fields). I doubt they'll make the same mistake and go back to putting TN on the MBPs.

Any car comparison is completely off the mark. These companies do not build these laptops from the ground up. They hire another company (ODM) to do it for them, and the ODMs buy parts from the same suppliers.

Jo-jo_

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Im in need of knowing what is a good brand for a laptop as my acer hates me ive been through 2 now so i was looking at asus zenbook ux305 and as a person like myself that doesnt know much about computers that was the worst guide for helping people is there a better way of finding out what type of laptop suits my needs i like downloading burning music etc shop on ebay and check out facebook thats roughly about it thanks for the help ☺

Jenna_Benna

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
You have to go by individual models. There are good and bad in every brand. Choosing by brand instead of specs will get you into trouble. Read the reviews if available! Wonder why they didn't include longevity on their list... Any computer that lasts over 5 years with minimal issues is gold in my book.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I totally agree.

jbgarcia

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
If you are considering a gaming laptop, you HAVE to include Sager/Clevo. Sager and MSI are, in my opinion, the most reliable gaming laptop brands and the best bang for your buck, not to mention they save you hundreds of dollars over mainstream names such as Dell/Alienware.

Masihakhan

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Actually it is difficult to say.For an example, me and my friend brought Compaq on the same day. His laptop lasted for 1 years and mine for 4 years. So it is tough to say. But if I have to say one name then best Apple and worst Acer.

madbullx

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Almost two years with HP Probook 470. Zero problems so far. The only thing that bothers me are high temperatures in some games (game from 2008. gave me higher temperatures than GTA V) ... So it could be just about optimization, I don't know. Overall, this is my first Laptop, and it remained same for almost 2 years now. Just need to change thermal paste, and clean dust, and it'll shine again just like the first day. :)

drues1986

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I have an Acer and used to be a total Acer fan. My fiancée has a HP and I have to be honest, the build quality on the HP completely blows the Acer out of the water. The HP has good clean edges and aluminium chassis and surfaces, whereas the Acer has sharp edges, places where the two parts of the case do not fit trim and generally is poor quality crappy plastic.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well there are things to consider why your new laptop runs cooler. The 6th generation Intel processor is more energy efficient then the past generations ( but that happens with every new generation of Intel processor). Also a laptop with only an integrated GP will run cooler and be more energy efficient the one with a DGP. The power of the pc is a big determining factor in weght, temperature and battery life.

Fred thinks

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Fred thinks

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
i have no experience with any other brands exept Acer; i bought a demo (used) i7 4core laptop with 2 built in h/drives of 1,75 Tb, 16 Gb Ram,Nvidia Gt 440 2Gb graphics, 17 inch screen and i used it every day for an average of 4 to 6 hrs since 2013 ~no problems exept a limited battery function only (+- 1.5 hrs)

Yes, it is plastic,but fantastic value !We have more internet related issues here in South Africa

Alvin_M

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
As it has already been said many times, do not compare brands but models althaough it can be done at a certain point. The best way to compare laptops is by what they will be used. The table with the points on the top is just someone's opinion. I do not agree at all with it.
If it is for gaming the list is like this: MSI ASUS LENOVO ACER the others are not worth it.
If it is for portability then you have many choices as every brand makes ultrabooks. I do not reccomend it but the macbook air is great for portability but not good for work(the reason why i don't reccomend it). The Lenovo LaVie is a nice one and the Dell XPS 13 or the Samsung ATIV Book Pro 9.
If it is for work (meaning portability and performance) the list is like this: Samsung, Acer, Lenovo
For workstation go straight for Lenovo.
As for a overall list it would be like this: Lenovo Samsung Acer Asus MSI Dell Sony Apple HP Toshiba
Personally I think Apple should not exist as it makes really really lame products at outrageous prices though their design is what is keeping them alive.

drues1986

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
The problem, you see, is that we’re getting to the point where the thickness of Apple’s iPhone handset is becoming determined by the audio jack, rather than the Apple-designed components inside the device. Apple’s previous iPhones have shipped with the standard 3.5mm audio jack we know and love, mainly in order to allow users of the device to easily connect a range of audio accessories up to their smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS