Best Anti-virus/malware program

irCRiz

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Which is better Windows security essentials or avg 2012.'

Ive been using avg but i dont really like it because it keeps telling me that some of my steam games have viruses on it which i dont really think is possible. So i want to switch.

Please let me know which is best

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Microsoft security essentials is pretty good. AVG is pretty resource intensive. There really is no Best solution since even the good ones can miss some viruses, if your super paranoid run multiple Antivirus/malware programs.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Ya me to recommends the AVAST 6. Avast AV have good detection rates, very low CPU/Memory consumption, Overall very good performer than microsoft's security essentials. The only glitch i felt its boring GUI. :hello:

skaz

Distinguished

In regards to strictly the two you mentioned in your question.

What your experiencing with AVG is just a false positive. A quick google search should be able to reveal you can safely tell AVG to ignore that file.

As for MSE I have been reading a lot of good things about it online throughout the months. But I have not personally tested it myself yet.

What kind of system are you running? Did you have automatic scans turned on? Most modern Anti-virus software mixed with modern system components shouldn't be resource intensive. Especially since a lot of these programs let the user choose how "intensive" you want the scan to be.

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
AVG is fast (blazes through a full computer scan) but it takes a long time to get ready on my laptop and slows down startup. And it seems to display a lot of false positives.

I heard that Avira AntiVir was good so I installed that on my desktop but it also displays a lot of false positives. More than AVG so far it seems =.=

In the end, it'll really be down to personal preference for Anti-virus.
But for malware, the only good one I've heard of (and used) is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.

rdb_39

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Microsoft tool has never detected anything on my XP-PRO SP3. EVEN ran the detailed scans many times trying to remove RBOT.CBR worm Category: DNS Services, conflicker, sasser, runtime.inf and it never works. microfoft probably invented them.

I will try malwarebyte's, thanks everyone for the input!

as for Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) it does not work period.