Best Anti Virus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan348

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 1, 2015
Norton 360 is my current Anti Virus Software..

It has given me satisfactory result but..

It will expire soon..

So, should I stick to Norton or should I go for something better?

Please suggest me some better Anti Virus Software

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware for last 4 years and I always recommend it, it has payed and free version, it deletes everything, spy cookies, checks .rar and zip files, it even looks inside system files, in payed version, it even checks virus database to check if you got any viruses that have been blacklisted.

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

My philosophy is always, If you can get a premium from any company you should be good. I know my school gives free Sophos anti-virus to students so I use that an no problems or performance issues. Imo, the best freeware is Avira and the best premium is Kaspersky

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Does that include real-time protection or is it only a scanner/? (for free version)

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The "best" anti-virus software is between your ears. Education goes a long ways in preventing problems and infections.

However - if the one you have is working, and hasnt let you down.. keep using it.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I use no antivirus software. At least there is no real-time antivirus software running continuously in my pc. But i'm a conscious pc-user that is aware of some potential risks i might face especially when browsing the internet. Ever since i bought my new pc (about 6 months ago) i haven't used an antivirus, nor have i ever felt a need for it. I scan my pc using malwarebytes antimalware once or twice a day (it scans in the background while i do my stuff). I use clamwin portable and spybot S&D to scan my PC once or twice a week (or if i feel the need). I have never seen any serious issues as of yet and my PC runs very responsively and is very fast

Realtime antivirus services eat up some resources and it also HAS TO scan everything that is run or accessed in your PC. In my opinion it's not worth it to use them.

Up to this point, it's me and my usage scenarios, also i don't have very important data in my PC anyways. If you are in a similar situation, you can try running with my set up some days and then decide if you need to use an AV or not.

All in all, if you feel the need to use an AV software i say there are pretty good free software out there. I think the paid software is for businesses or for the people that keep sensitive data in their PCs.

I recommend (for home users) using free AV like Avira Free AV or Avast Free AV or maybe AVG Free too. And use an antimalware like Malwarebytes Antimalware Free or one of the similar antispyware software that has high detect-ratios. Spybot S&D is a good piece of software that can provide passive protection too (immunization)

Jugeum

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
My suggestion is that if you like Norton, you could stick with it, but if you're asking, you may have noticed something that bugs you... I have an issue with Norton because it's a resource hog, but that's me. If you're looking for something free, I would suggest Avast (just make sure to go into settings and turn sounds off or you will get a surprise later). Also, Avara is decent, I use it on a computer to test out how it works and haven't really gotten to taking it off. If you're looking for a paid anti-virus, I would look into either bitdefender or Kasperskys. Without knowing what it is about Norton that is bothering you at this point, it's hard to give a definitive answer, but this way you have some choices to look into.
Also, I would suggest Malwarebytes to go with any free antivirus as they update with non-virus malicious software faster. And get adblock plus if you haven't already for your browser to help with the clickbait crap.

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Malware Bytes destroys my HDD's disk usage when it scans but it is a very good anti-malware. I would agree that an anti-malware like Malwarebytes is more important than an AV, however I still like the real-time protection. Spybot is also really good to have and might I also advise using TDSSKiller from Kaspersky http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016

Yes, it has real-time protection, also forgot to mention than you can scan individual items at any time, by simply right clicking it and selecting "Scan this folder/file"

slime_frog__4

Commendable
May 16, 2016

I am an IT, and from my use, Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Total Security are the best. They are somewhat of resource hogs, but if you have a pretty good system, than use those. Otherwise, if you are looking for free antivirus, use Bitdefender Free antivirus, or Avast Free antivirus.

123andrew

Reputable
May 29, 2015
No doubt Norton is a good antivirus but there are many other security software available in the market that will definately help you much more such as Kaspersky, Avast, Avira. Try them once .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS