Best Antivirus for XP?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
what is the best antivirus software for win xp? i currently use avira and it works great. is there something better in therms of protection and minimal resources usage?

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
@ micronerdo, I already know how to steal your identity and where to look, what I'm telling you is you are due for it being stollen from your pc, keeping it on a flash drive that is gonnected to pc with freeware does not mean anything. ;)
And I told you it's already been stolen before, and paying for nod32 would not have changed anything. The best you could do is my name and address. Big deal, there are other ways of getting that. Flash drive... transaction... back out.
btw don't forget to let me hold your money so you can save all those bank fees ;)
It's getting old.

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
you are right, but if you are not just talking and mean what you say then give me your money to hold, talk is cheap.
Gee, I don't know... someone could rob you before even thinking of me.
nothing is fool proof but you do go for the best one that is closest to it ;)
And did I EVER say that nod32 WASN'T the best one? It's better than any freeware app (DUH) OR pay app. Do you think EVERYBODY out there is looking for a pay app? Is it remotely possible that some are maybe, just maybe, looking for SOME kind of protection but don't want to pay for it? Heaven forbid! Start the crusades against this foolish thinking. Anyways, all I did was just mention a few. Castigate me.... sheeesh!

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
micronerdo said:
Gee, I don't know... someone could rob you before even thinking of me.
nothing is fool proof but you do go for the best one that is closest to it ;)

yes the good old its not gonna happen to me fact ;) love your facts ;)

Is it remotely possible that some are maybe, just maybe, looking for SOME kind of protection but don't want to pay for it?

listen to yourself, how many times do I need to tell you? freeware apps offer no protection, don't' take my word for it, read the disclaimer for your freeware.

that being a fact, who in their right mind looks for SOME kind of protection in a place that tells you they offer none?

also you keep talking about money, before you advise others you should go decide which is more important to you in a an anit virus and such:

a. is the level of protection
or
b. how much the protection will cost you

seems like you are willing to let go of the protection for the money which then makes your whole point of getting an av quite pointless and the same with your argument.

if you need an av then get the best and yes it will cost you less then 6 pennies a day, that cost lest then your cigs.

now you want me to take you seriously with that frame of mind?
cheesy2.gif

let me save 6 pennies a day but I spend more then that on cigs and coffee but listen to me, this is a great idea, cut on safety so you can spend the money of coffee and cigs
above quote is not actual is my editing to make a point
and I say that as an ex smoker (1 1/2 packs a day) ;)

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
yes the good old its not gonna happen to me fact ;) love your facts ;)
Well, you seem to be playing the same game.
listen to yourself, how many times do I need to tell you? freeware apps offer no protection, don't' take my word for it, read the disclaimer for your freeware.;)
Checked... no disclaimers anywhere. Why don't you send me the URL's that have these disclaimers. No protection? Listen to yourself. Maybe not in the way of identity theft, but come on.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2201p168id113462.htm
Some tests (on other sites) have shown some of them to be right under nod32.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
pleasure

your beloved avg

This particular software version is distributed free of charge, therefore, the applicable license is only granted for home use thereof. In case of this free version, the program is not subject to any guarantees, and the user has no right to any technical support whatsoever.

5. Liability Limitation. Neither GRISOFT nor its contractual dealers bare any liability for any damages arisen due to using or inability of using of the aforesaid program although if notified of an option of causing such damages.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

I'm not sure why you are arguing with someone that told you they own a freeware site, maybe you think I'm forcing my ideas on your or something, regardless of what you say it does not change any facts, and don't forget I have everything to gain by saying the opposite of what I'm saying.

facts are very simple, if you worried about security then you need the best regardless, if security is not important to you then you don't need any security apps, free or not, if I don't ever care about photos and images then it would be moronic of me to have 2 to 4 different kinds of photo apps on my PC taking up space and CPU, and my argument for having them: just because they are free why not?

anyways I'm beating a dead horse, I'm sure you will find something to say about the LA and any other facts that I produce.

BTW I don't see how I'm playing the its not gonna happen to me game, you have no clue what I'm doing ;) but I can promise you it will happen to you before it happens to me ;)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
its your settings or the virus is false positive, what virus was it? if you had the virus befor install then you can't blame any av, some viruses will manipulate the install file or the installation to disable or hamper the av's detections.

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Thanks. I was wondering where that was (just couldn't find it). Big deal.... of COURSE there's no support. You pay for support. And what kind of guarantees do you get with nod32 other than support? Are you reimbursed for any liabilities other than the program itself?

Why do you have it offered on your site if it does nothing? I mean, why bother?
Security may not be as important to me as it is to you, but to pick up some viruses that could be lingering around is better than nothing. I use GIMP, but sometimes I use plain old Paint also. Thay may not be Photoshop, but they do the job OK for me and it's better than nothing. But I know, you keep saying it's nothing. I've gotten my daughter and my wifes PC's working back to normal using them, and to me that's better than nothing.

So if it happens to me before it happens to you, it's still the same result. I may die before you, but it's still the same ending.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
life is not the same as security, life is not about ending, security is ;)

everybody dies, but every body's security is not compromised, only people who use bad judgment or don't know any better.

I told you that it does not matter what I say, can't make a horse drink water ;)

I really don't care what you do with your life, I will not watch as you give bad advise to others just because you like to go by your perception instead of facts ;)

why do I offer it? because its a freeware on a freeware site thats what you find, I don't recommend them tho on the support forum or any place else.

bottom line is you just want to be right even tho you are wrong, the same way you tell yourself you are secure with an app that itself says it offers you no security/guarantees.

peace ;)

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
bottom line is you just want to be right even tho you are wrong, the same way you tell yourself you are secure with an app that itself says it offers you no security/guarantees.

peace ;)
I never felt I was right thruout this whole discussion. Nod32 is the best, and if some people feel they need that kind of fallout shelter protection, by all means, they should buy it. I just mentioned a few other ones and you thought I meant they where better than nod32. And in my next reply I never disputed that fact. Then it was nod32 or nothing at all. All I've done is disagree with your nothing at all. I don't care who's right or wrong. I understand you completely. But it was you who was quick to the trigger of not understanding in my first post when I was just mentioning others. And you made the argument of why they should not. Either pay for it or don't bother to install any. Yes, pay for it or keep all viruses in your computer. And I never said I felt I was secure with these apps. I've just gotten rid of a few viruses, malware, trojans etc. What's the crime? Is that so bad?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
here we go again, avg themselves promise you no security, what is the point of an av that promises no guarantees or liability? the past 10 post have been about stupid avg and their licence agreement ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.