Best Antivirus Software and Apps (Archive)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anchor777

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
The editor doesn't know Comodo Internet Security? I use it on my PC in the last 7 years without problems. unfortunately for my mac, they offer just a normal antivirus. I also use Comodo on my android.

santiano

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
2 Months ago, I also faced virus attack while internet surfing, I do believe BILL_123 to use a good antivirus program for the system to protect from latest threats.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
What about Anti-Malware programs? I personally use MalwareFox. There have been numerous comparisons between Antivirus programs over the years. But, not so many about Anti-Malware programs.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Do you think that it's necessary to have an Antivirus on Android or is it a matter of personal preference? I feel like anyone who is only downloading apps only through the Play Store, will be clean.

rgd1101

Don't

You must not read tech news, malware sometime sneak in to play store too

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I've heard about that. It's just that most of that malware is only adware that tries to mimic some widely used apps. You can easily tell the difference between the fake and the real app just by looking at the downloads. No big deal there.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

This is why I don't like Zemana at all because they don't list who is using their engine and their GUI, but I still recommend it as an on demand scanner. Watchdog Anti-Malware is another really Zemana Anti-Malware as well.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

In my point of view, Comodo antivirus is obsolete than Windows Defender when it come to signatures detection. The only worthy Comodo product that people use and suggest is Comodo Firewall with it HIPS, Sandboxing, and zero day protection which is good for advanced user, but not for average user because at default its protections is meh and you can break your system.

paulhandza

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

1) No one going to give 2 cents about what U.S. government say

2) This is a rumor

3) U.S. Propaganda toward Russia.

4) No true evidence

5) Why would you still trust U.S. government at this corrupted stage?

6) People will still continue use Kaspersky security product

ranksb24

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
witch is better avast or avira one article says avast and another says avira dated the same and written by same person?

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Avast > Avira for overall protection. Avast have zero day components while Avira heavily rely on signatures like Windows Defender which is not good these days.

Meat5000

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I used to think AVAST was pretty good until I realised that it frequently LIES TO ME. It pops up telling me about non-existent threats and to tell me its fixed problems that were never there. In all cases there is something about which is a link to paid software. It keeps trying to fool me into thinking there are problems on my computer and tring to sell me a 'solution'. I don't say this lightly. Literally, in 100% of the times its notified me about a 'threat' I have clearly and without doubt identified that AVAST is lying. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give some money to the makers of MalwareBytes. You wil notice that they do NOT try to bundle unwanted software in their installer. A good sign!.

santiano

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I agree that there must be a comparison list in which key features of antivirus product must be mentioned. What I believe that before concluding for any, review and demo version must be taken into consideration. Well, I can't say about Windows defender that it provides complete security or not, but You can decide whether to choose any product or not according to the online activities and habits.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I would say that it's a matter of personal preference. Zemana is absolutely more lightweight though.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

In addition, they are very cheap ( $10 on Antivirus-4u.com for 1 yr 1 PC) and better detection.

BradensPCs

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Why is there never any mention of Panda here when they get higher detection rates and lower false positive rates than Kaspersky at AV Comparatives? There’s something fishy here….

jjenney2016

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
ESET NOD32 is the best. It’s very lightweight on your system, updates automatically, has the best heuristics, and they offer free tech support and virus removal. Why weren’t they mentioned? Most IT people recommend ESET. Shop at Microcenter and they recommend ESET too.

jkmost

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Best ever Amtivirus, and all other kinds of malware & junkware--ONLY #ONE IN MY BOOK is EMSISOFT--if you do have a issue, their customer service is FANTASTIC and will work with you for as long as it takes..no extra charges. Do yourself a favor, check it out now (Numerous awards in the past several years--Top of the list! Jan M

getitgotitgood

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Shocking that TG would recommend Kaspersky and so many people follow that awful advice. I have to seriously question TG's ethics and/or intelligence, I'm sure they won't miss me but this is my last time on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.