Question Best aRGB fans for first time builder?

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hey everyone! I think I'm getting more honed in on my exact PC build. I've got my PC Part Picker link listed below as well as the "How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice" list by FinneousPJ.

What advice I'm specifically looking for is on the best ARGB fans for my build. I'm looking for the overall best when you take certain things into account. Mostly ease of install. Ease of setting up the lights. Reliability. When running the lights white, the lights not turning yellow, and sharp good looks. I've already done a lot of preliminary research and found some really nice looking aRGB fans, but then when I read about them, some of them sound like they can be a nightmare to get working properly. That the software for them can be horrible. Or just getting them to even work at all is a nightmare.

So wanted to do some research on that part before I finalize my build, as I want to buy most everything now and build it all at once. I will be adding the AIO cooler later on, probably around Black Friday, and then possibly a GPU later if I need one to run Nintendo games on the Dolphin simulator. But not installing those right now. Unless you think it will be a nightmare to install the Kraken X53 RGB after I put the whole computer together? In which case, I'll just wait till Black Friday to put the whole thing together. Just buy what I can afford now, then pick up the AIO cooler later. Any advice on this topic is also appreciated.

The fans I've seen that look the best imho are the Lian Li Uni Fan SL Infinity or Uni Fan AL. Looks are INCREDIBLE! I haven't seen anything like it out there! Outrageously cool looking! Yet, when I read about them, many people say they have issues getting those fans to work. Like nightmare level stuff. They say Lian Li will replace them no problem, but that it's not easy to get them all to work and function properly how they should using the aRGB software or whatever controls them.

I really want those fans, as the look is exactly what I'm going for with my build, but unfortunately, if those fans are a nightmare to hook up and to get working properly, then I don't want them. I'm new to all of this, and need simple and easy. Not hard and a nightmare.

So first question, are Lian Li Uni SL and Uni AL fans a pain to setup in general? Is the software a pain to use in general? Or could a beginner get them to work? My end build will be 1 fan in the back, 3 in the front, and the AIO cooler with 2 fans on top.

Second, if those fans are a pain to work with in general, what brands and styles of fans out there are very similar looking to those, but are easy to setup and use? Work well with little to no problems. No yellowing white lights.

Third, just making sure all my parts are compatible, and looks like a good build. I've already checked the processor and mobo on the Motherboard forum section, to make sure they are compatible and that the processor has an iGPU on it. Also, PC Part Picker says everything is kosher. And I've ran the total estimated wattage for this system including the Kraken AIO cooler and a decent GPU (when or if I get one) and the total Watts is around 300ish. Without the GPU it's even lower. So my PSU is plenty large enough for this build and more if I wanted to add extras later on. So just double checking to make sure everything looks good and will work well?

PC PART PICKER LIST

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: sometime in the next week to month

Budget Range: My PC Part Picker list says total around 930. But that is with the NZXT Kraken cooler and the case WAY overpriced. And I won't be buying and installing the AIO Cooler till later on. I'm building this without the AIO cooler for now. Then adding that later on when I can afford it. It'll end up being around $600-700 total. But I don't really have a budge "per say." Just want to build a nice clean work station that looks nice and works well and is affordable. Nothing crazy or top of the line. I'm more concerned about ease of install (ease of use), reliability and looks. And whatever that entails I have to buy, then that is my budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: School work, personal computing, watching movies/videos, and in the future sometimes playing Dolphin simulator to play N64, Gamecube, etc (so nothing fancy and the iGPU will work fine for me for now. In the future, may add on a dedicated GPU, but definitely something less expensive and a good value

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I will buy one 27" now, and then another one in the near future when I can afford it. Probably around Black Friday deal time

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter. As long as they are a reliable company and have good prices

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: Not right now. But in the future, not sure? The only "gaming" I will ever be doing on this PC, sometime in the future, is running Dolphin, so my gf and I can play old Nintendo N64, Gamecube, etc games. So I either won't need a GPU, or if I do, it will be a low end model.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 on 27" monitors

Additional Comments: Going to make a very clean, classy somewhat minimalist build. Not flashy with tons of strobe lights and glass walls everywhere. I would prefer it to run more quiet then loud. And the biggest programs I'll ever be running are WIndows Office programs, PS, Ai, and the Dolphin Nintendo simulator

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not upgrading, building my first PC from scratch. Because I'm getting into the IT field, and this feels like a beginner right of passage. Plus, I don't have a desktop PC, just a MacBook Air

THIS is the aesthetic I'm going for. Clean, classy, with a little pop of light... so like a BMW M3 ;) haha

Thanks everyone
Define7compact_white_tgc_cam6.0001-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Hey everyone! I think I'm getting more honed in on my exact PC build. I've got my PC Part Picker link listed below as well as the "How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice" list by FinneousPJ.

What advice I'm specifically looking for is on the best ARGB fans for my build. I'm looking for the overall best when you take certain things into account. Mostly ease of install. Ease of setting up the lights. Reliability. When running the lights white, the lights not turning yellow, and sharp good looks. I've already done a lot of preliminary research and found some really nice looking aRGB fans, but then when I read about them, some of them sound like they can be a nightmare to get working properly. That the software for them can be horrible. Or just getting them to even work at all is a nightmare.

So wanted to do some research on that part before I finalize my build, as I want to buy most everything now and build it all at once. I will be adding the AIO cooler later on, probably around Black Friday, and then possibly a GPU later if I need one to run Nintendo games on the Dolphin simulator. But not installing those right now. Unless you think it will be a nightmare to install the Kraken X53 RGB after I put the whole computer together? In which case, I'll just wait till Black Friday to put the whole thing together. Just buy what I can afford now, then pick up the AIO cooler later. Any advice on this topic is also appreciated.

The fans I've seen that look the best imho are the Lian Li Uni Fan SL Infinity or Uni Fan AL. Looks are INCREDIBLE! I haven't seen anything like it out there! Outrageously cool looking! Yet, when I read about them, many people say they have issues getting those fans to work. Like nightmare level stuff. They say Lian Li will replace them no problem, but that it's not easy to get them all to work and function properly how they should using the aRGB software or whatever controls them.

I really want those fans, as the look is exactly what I'm going for with my build, but unfortunately, if those fans are a nightmare to hook up and to get working properly, then I don't want them. I'm new to all of this, and need simple and easy. Not hard and a nightmare.

So first question, are Lian Li Uni SL and Uni AL fans a pain to setup in general? Is the software a pain to use in general? Or could a beginner get them to work? My end build will be 1 fan in the back, 3 in the front, and the AIO cooler with 2 fans on top.

Second, if those fans are a pain to work with in general, what brands and styles of fans out there are very similar looking to those, but are easy to setup and use? Work well with little to no problems. No yellowing white lights.

Third, just making sure all my parts are compatible, and looks like a good build. I've already checked the processor and mobo on the Motherboard forum section, to make sure they are compatible and that the processor has an iGPU on it. Also, PC Part Picker says everything is kosher. And I've ran the total estimated wattage for this system including the Kraken AIO cooler and a decent GPU (when or if I get one) and the total Watts is around 300ish. Without the GPU it's even lower. So my PSU is plenty large enough for this build and more if I wanted to add extras later on. So just double checking to make sure everything looks good and will work well?

PC PART PICKER BUILD LIST

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: sometime in the next week to month

Budget Range: My PC Part Picker list says total around 930. But that is with the NZXT Kraken cooler and the case WAY overpriced. And I won't be buying and installing the AIO Cooler till later on. I'm building this without the AIO cooler for now. Then adding that later on when I can afford it. It'll end up being around $600-700 total. But I don't really have a budge "per say." Just want to build a nice clean work station that looks nice and works well and is affordable. Nothing crazy or top of the line. I'm more concerned about ease of install (ease of use), reliability and looks. And whatever that entails I have to buy, then that is my budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: School work, personal computing, watching movies/videos, and in the future sometimes playing Dolphin simulator to play N64, Gamecube, etc (so nothing fancy and the iGPU will work fine for me for now. In the future, may add on a dedicated GPU, but definitely something less expensive and a good value

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I will buy one 27" now, and then another one in the near future when I can afford it. Probably around Black Friday deal time

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter. As long as they are a reliable company and have good prices

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: Not right now. But in the future, not sure? The only "gaming" I will ever be doing on this PC, sometime in the future, is running Dolphin, so my gf and I can play old Nintendo N64, Gamecube, etc games. So I either won't need a GPU, or if I do, it will be a low end model.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 on 27" monitors

Additional Comments: Going to make a very clean, classy somewhat minimalist build. Not flashy with tons of strobe lights and glass walls everywhere. I would prefer it to run more quiet then loud. And the biggest programs I'll ever be running are WIndows Office programs, PS, Ai, and the Dolphin Nintendo simulator

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not upgrading, building my first PC from scratch. Because I'm getting into the IT field, and this feels like a beginner right of passage. Plus, I don't have a desktop PC, just a MacBook Air

THIS is the aesthetic I'm going for. Clean, classy, with a little pop of light... so like a BMW M3 ;) haha

Thanks everyone
Define7compact_white_tgc_cam6.0001-scaled.jpg

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
What's your best reason or two for choosing liquid cooling?

I was told by others I would need it. But I'm not so sure? Most websites say I'll need at least CPU cooling, if not liquid cooling. But I'm not playing graphic/processor heavy games. Just using normal Office programs, PS, Ai, and that Dolphin simulator to play old Nintendo games.

It sounds like you may be saying I "dont" need it? If so, please let me know, as I don't need to spend that extra money on something I don't even need. I'm just going off what almost everyone else does, articles discuss, and what others have said.

I was told by others I would need it. But I'm not so sure? Most websites say I'll need at least CPU cooling, if not liquid cooling. But I'm not playing graphic/processor heavy games. Just using normal Office programs, PS, Ai, and that Dolphin simulator to play old Nintendo games.

It sounds like you may be saying I "dont" need it? If so, please let me know, as I don't need to spend that extra money on something I don't even need. I'm just going off what almost everyone else does, articles discuss, and what others have said.

With good reason you are not sure.

I see absolutely nothing in your parts list that would necessitate liquid cooling.

You are spending about 160 for it.

Your CPU should come with a cooler that would be adequate for your stated purposes.

It might be noisier than you'd like.

To err on the side of caution, you could get a good quality air cooler for 50 to 100 somewhere.

The saved money could be well spent on buying a stronger processor, maybe a 12400 or 12600....or just put it in your pocket. You would reap the benefits of the stronger CPU at all times, whereas the liquid cooling has no advantage to you at all...other than perhaps more noise, lower life expectancy, and increased maintenance issues.

The rest of it looks OK.

I know nothing about RGB stuff, so can't help on that front.

Reactions: King_V and Haliax68

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
With good reason you are not sure.

I see absolutely nothing in your parts list that would necessitate liquid cooling.

You are spending about 160 for it.

Your CPU should come with a cooler that would be adequate for your stated purposes.

It might be noisier than you'd like.

To err on the side of caution, you could get a good quality air cooler for 50 to 100 somewhere.

The saved money could be well spent on buying a stronger processor, maybe a 12400 or 12600....or just put it in your pocket. You would reap the benefits of the stronger CPU at all times, whereas the liquid cooling has no advantage to you at all...other than perhaps more noise, lower life expectancy, and increased maintenance issues.

The rest of it looks OK.

I know nothing about RGB stuff, so can't help on that front.

Ok, thanks for the help on the Cooler. I keep getting such conflicting info on it. But you and a few others on here, have said a regular fan cooler will be good enough. So I think I'll just pocket that money I was going to spend on it, and get a less expensive fan cooler. That way I can get two monitors sooner. And thanks for looking over my build, I appreciate it! So far, I've been having very positive interactions on this site. And as a rookie to PC building and all this stuff, I really appreciate that. And no worries about the RGB fans, I'm sure others will be able to help. Best

A few other comments:

That particular Fractal Design case can accept air coolers up to 169 mm tall.

That means it can accept virtually any air cooler you might choose. Most good ones that you might want are in the 140 mm to 165 mm height category.

You can go with the included stock cooler to start with and maybe later upgrade to a quieter/more powerful cooler later if desired.

I also noticed that case has 7 fan mounts and is rather large...about 18 inches by 19 inches in its longest 2 dimensions. Highly unlikely you'd need to use 7 fans. Three fans would likely be plenty.

You have chosen a micro ATX motherboard. That's fine.

I have not checked case prices lately, but you might be able to find a somewhat smaller and cheaper yet high quality case from Fractal or possibly Lian Li.

Fractal is good stuff. It just seemed to me that maybe your case doesn't have to be that big and you might be able to go a bit smaller. But it's fine if you go with it.

Reactions: Haliax68