Question Best Art/Painting sInventory Sofware?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, for a museum, I need to make an inventory of all the paintings currently being shown at a public exposition. It must include pictures, way to identify them, type of art etc etc. I am looking for suggestions I dont mind if its paid or open source software. Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Likely you can do it for free.

I did a similar project some years ago using Microsoft Access database.

The term "database" tends to overwhelm some people but with the wizards that are now available you can create a simple database very easily.

If the data is already somewhat available via a spreadsheet for example you can either link to the spreadsheet or import the data.

Key is having a field in each record that contains a link to a picture of the painting.

And you do not necessarily need to use Access. There are free database apps readily available.

Do a couple of trial runs with a representative sample of the paintings. Put the necessary data into a protected (Read only) spreadsheet and import the data as applicable to each database. Saves retyping the data.

Consider using a barcode for each painting - you can easily get or even print out your own barcode lables.

One record being, for example:

Barcode (Key)
Artist
Category
Date
Notes
Etc..

There are some rules and practices regarding good database design. However, those can be deferred to some extent with respect to just a pilot or test database.

For example paintings may be stored in different locations: E.g., Basement, Main Gallery, Attic, Off-site, On-loan. You would use a location key to facilitate tracking where paintings are stored and the ability to add, change, and delete locations.

That gets into database design and "normalization". The latter, when seriously applied can get quite technical. However, if you google for a few database design tutorials, you will most likely get a good working grasp of what is needed for your inventory requirements.

Another thought: Consider looking for inventory tracking software. May be some canned app directly suitable for your requirements.

Google "inventory database free". Revise the search criteria as necessary thereafter. Lots of options.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Likely you can do it for free.

I did a similar project some years ago using Microsoft Access database.

The term "database" tends to overwhelm some people but with the wizards that are now available you can create a simple database very easily.

If the data is already somewhat available via a spreadsheet for example you can either link to the spreadsheet or import the data.

Key is having a field in each record that contains a link to a picture of the painting.

And you do not necessarily need to use Access. There are free database apps readily available.

Do a couple of trial runs with a representative sample of the paintings. Put the necessary data into a protected (Read only) spreadsheet and import the data as applicable to each database. Saves retyping the data.

Consider using a barcode for each painting - you can easily get or even print out your own barcode lables.

One record being, for example:

Barcode (Key)
Artist
Category
Date
Notes
Etc..

There are some rules and practices regarding good database design. However, those can be deferred to some extent with respect to just a pilot or test database.

For example paintings may be stored in different locations: E.g., Basement, Main Gallery, Attic, Off-site, On-loan. You would use a location key to facilitate tracking where paintings are stored and the ability to add, change, and delete locations.

That gets into database design and "normalization". The latter, when seriously applied can get quite technical. However, if you google for a few database design tutorials, you will most likely get a good working grasp of what is needed for your inventory requirements.

Another thought: Consider looking for inventory tracking software. May be some canned app directly suitable for your requirements.

Google "inventory database free". Revise the search criteria as necessary thereafter. Lots of options.

Yhanks for the suggestions but maybe I am looking something more simpler and intituitive

How many items you're talking about? Hundreds? Thousands? Then talking about photos of the artifacts - do you need high-res photo, or just something to remind you what it is?

See whether something like Microsoft' OneNote would do the job for you.

Another (although more labour-intensive) way to do it: An Excell table, with pictures stored as hyperlinks to local file, or cloud photo storage site

USAFRet

Titan
A quick google search ("museum inventory database") leads to:

http://www.primasoft.com/pro_software/museum_software_pro.htm

And many others.

No idea how well any of those work, but a quick perusal seems to be in line with what you're looking for.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
A quick google search ("museum inventory database") leads to:

http://www.primasoft.com/pro_software/museum_software_pro.htm

And many others.

No idea how well any of those work, but a quick perusal seems to be in line with what you're looking for.

Fret thanks for the detailed and good reply like always but I was looking for opinions and suggestions from users :S

I did the google the search :p

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Still looking for something better. Just found something good but it has an online part i don't like but the inventory part is perfect.
From all of the above suggestions, what is lacking?
What constitutes 'better'?

What specific features do you need that are lacking in any of the above?

Me personally, I'd whip something up in MS Access. The work of an afternoon or two. But that's me.

In Access 2019, built in templates:
9E3S07k.png

Last edited:

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Better is something similar to the video I posted but that can I work offline and send to the administrators of my workplace. In other words that let me do inventory with images and I can easily pass to my boos or admins.