[SOLVED] Best available card capable of 5120 x 1440 dual QHD resolution @ 60 Hz ? (I'm not a gamer)

dc41

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
I need an available graphics card that is capable of 5120 x 1440 Dual QHD Resolution @ 60 Hz. I'm not a gamer, nor do I do 3D modeling or anything professionally taxing like that. I do general computer, a lot of browser-based remote apps, light Adobe 2021 work, BIG spreadsheets, etc. The system it will go into will have a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, B550 MB, 32GB RAM, and a SAMSUNG 980 PRO. Undecided on power supply but probably silver/gold 650 -750 watts.

I've looked at the workstation cards that are available, but feel dirty for 3-5 year old technology that's selling for more than it did when new. I'm also not sure I'll ever make use of the apps for which they were designed.

So they question is... what card can I get now that will power a 49" monitor without slowing the rest of the system. Again, gaming is not a priority. Any advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Solution
If you aren't going to do 3D or use GPGPU applications, then any odd potato with whatever output(s) your monitor needs would be fine. 5120x1440 is less than UHD and even a GT1030 can refresh a UHD monitor at 60Hz.

For everyday non-GPGPU desktop use, there isn't much difference between a GT710 and an RTX3090.
Note that some 2D apps take advantage of the power of descrete GPUs. You need to check if any of your apps do this since they may get a little slow if you try to use just a 'desktop' GPU.

If you will NEVER be using apps that take advantage of descrete GPUs, gaming, 3D rendering, streaming, or watching video's (yes they use descrete GPUs during decompression), then you can go with something cheap and minimal. It would be best if you list a few cards you are looking at so we can guide you from there.

Do you have anything like the set up you posted, currently? If yes, what GPU are you using?

Reactions: dc41

dc41

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
No, I'm not using anything like what I'm building. I've been plugging along with a system I built 10 years ago with a i7 2600K Sandy Bridge with a Radeon HD6800. Shows how demanding my usage is!

Won't watch any video except the occasional youtube, etc. I'm really just looking for something that will drive my new LG monitor at 5120 x 1440 Dual QHD Resolution @ 60 Hz. until the Video Card market regains some sanity. Currently looking at a Radeon Pro WX 4100 or a PNY VCQP2200-SB (nVidia quadro p2200)... mainly because they are available and will handle my monitor's resolution. HTH.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay. Of the two you listed, the Quadro is way better.

Or you could look around for a GTX 1660 (no need for the Ti or S models). Make sure it's got the connections (or you have the adapters) you want.
Truthfully, The Quadro you picked will serve you just fine so if you're seeing a good price somewhere go for it.

InvalidError

Titan
If you aren't going to do 3D or use GPGPU applications, then any odd potato with whatever output(s) your monitor needs would be fine. 5120x1440 is less than UHD and even a GT1030 can refresh a UHD monitor at 60Hz.

For everyday non-GPGPU desktop use, there isn't much difference between a GT710 and an RTX3090.

Solution

dc41

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for all your help! I ended up with a MSI GT 1030 2GH LP OC... GDDR5 and HDMI & DisplayPort - not at a great price, but not bad and from a reputable dealer. You all saved me several hundred dollars! Thanks again!

Reactions: alceryes