Question Best B450 for Ryzen 3000?

Aug 14, 2019
Which is in your opinion the best B450 MOBO to couple with ryzen 3600?Ive read a lot about MSI motherboards(about boot/temperature/bios) problems so i wanna know which mobo is "less" risky to buy.

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
i suppose but it would still be nice to go for the 3600 :') i suggest maybe just saving a little more and going for an x570 instead?

That's what I concluded, after a lot of research and frustration. Buying any B450 board to use with a Ryzen 3000 is basically a roll of the dice. Some people have no problems, while others can't get a stable system no matter what they do. And it's complicated by the fact that you can't count on any B450 motherboard being shipped with a "compatible" BIOS. Some of them are (apparently most or all of ASRock's lineup), but the only way to be sure is to buy one in a brick-and-mortar store where it's possible to inspect the product before buying it. That's not always practical, or even possible.

I don't need PCIe 4, but I do need a new computer. I have thus plumped for a low-end X570 (MSI X570 Gaming Plus). It's supposed to arrive early next week. X570 isn't a perfect solution, and the AGESA for the Ryzen 3000 is still a work in progress. But at least it's more likely to run right out of the box. I'm praying to Hollerith, the deity concerned with computing.

An alternative to the X570 is to buy a B450 board with a discounted 2600X (or any other 2nd generation CPU). Then at the end of this year (or later), when a stable BIOS is available, flash that BIOS and then upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 3000. I'm sure the manufacturers will eventually release a BIOS that lets the 3000 CPUs work properly and realize their potential.

Reactions: liamwhalley20
Aug 14, 2019
That's what I concluded, after a lot of research and frustration. Buying any B450 board to use with a Ryzen 3000 is basically a roll of the dice. Some people have no problems, while others can't get a stable system no matter what they do. And it's complicated by the fact that you can't count on any B450 motherboard being shipped with a "compatible" BIOS. Some of them are (apparently most or all of ASRock's lineup), but the only way to be sure is to buy one in a brick-and-mortar store where it's possible to inspect the product before buying it. That's not always practical, or even possible.

I don't need PCIe 4, but I do need a new computer. I have thus plumped for a low-end X570 (MSI X570 Gaming Plus). It's supposed to arrive early next week. X570 isn't a perfect solution, and the AGESA for the Ryzen 3000 is still a work in progress. But at least it's more likely to run right out of the box. I'm praying to Hollerith, the deity concerned with computing.

An alternative to the X570 is to buy a B450 board with a discounted 2600X (or any other 2nd generation CPU). Then at the end of this year (or later), when a stable BIOS is available, flash that BIOS and then upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 3000. I'm sure the manufacturers will eventually release a BIOS that lets the 3000 CPUs work properly and realize their potential.
Thats what i was thinking.I will go for a 2600x with a B450 Tomahawk or Gaming plus and maybe i will upgrade to 3600 in the future.

What B450 boards are available to you? and which Ryzen 3K chip are you interested in?

Look for a board with a really strong VRM if you plan on a 3900x, for instance. That would probably mean look for a good X470 instead as the better ones had quite strong VRM's. But there are a number of B450's that would pair nicely with the 3700x and even 3800x, and just about any B450 for a 3600/X.

Most boards are settling out: Asrock has BIOS's with 1003abb AGESA in just about all their board lines, so B450 Pro 4 and B450 Steel Legend would be good choices for 3600 up through 3800X's. But other mfr's should also be getting their BIOS' up to date in the next few weeks if they haven't already.

Probably the biggest thing to watch for is to get a board that has a BIOS updated to support Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Many retailers will do the update for you if you want and the board you pick isn't up-to-date.