[SOLVED] Best B450 or X470 motherboard for Ryzen 3700X ?

WarMar

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Trying to find the best mobo for the Ryzen 7 3700X at 150 $ range.
I don't care about OC much, but would be nice if the option is there.

Solution
I will inform my retailer about needing a BIOS update and they will probably do it for me.

The BIOS update won't be a problem. I just want to know which one's better, the Tomahawk or the ROG STRIX B450-F.
Tuf call.

The Tomahawk's major claim to fame is it's very strong and cool running VRM... but that's been all but negated by the extraordinary efficiency and operating characteristics of Ry3K. I think it would only be an important consideration if you're planning on a 3900X and/or upgrading to a Ryzen 9 3950X in the future.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming and I am very happy with it.
I will most likely upgrade from my current 2600 to a 3700x sometime next year after the BIOS bugs get worked out.
If you have an older AMD CPU (like the 200GE) that you can use to flash the BIOS then I would definitely recommend my Motherboard.

If you don't have a CPU to use to flash the BIOS then the MSI Tomahawk Max will come with a 3000 series compatible BIOS out of the box and it has a 32 MB BIOS chip vs the regular 16 MB chip on the Non-MAX version.
https://www.techpowerup.com/257485/...os-roms-and-ryzen-3000-out-of-the-box-support
The regular (Non-Max) Tomahawk does have a Flash back Button so you can update the BIOS without a CPU installed.
But it is limited to a text only UI GSE Lite BIOS.
https://www.techpowerup.com/257201/...ail-amds-zen2-backwards-compatibility-promise

WarMar

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
If you get the strix, how do you intend to make sure it supports Ryzen 3000? Do you have a brick and mortar store nearby that you can by from where you could look for the "ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker? If not, do you have some method of updating it?
I will inform my retailer about needing a BIOS update and they will probably do it for me.

The BIOS update won't be a problem. I just want to know which one's better, the Tomahawk or the ROG STRIX B450-F.

Tuf call.

The Tomahawk's major claim to fame is it's very strong and cool running VRM... but that's been all but negated by the extraordinary efficiency and operating characteristics of Ry3K. I think it would only be an important consideration if you're planning on a 3900X and/or upgrading to a Ryzen 9 3950X in the future.

Solution