Best Backup Utility Please ?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time researching the internet and
reading many reviews, to select a good, reliable , backup utility. After
much effort and reading, I selected Genie Backup Program. Although it has
the features that I love and has a pretty intuitive interface, I find it to
be unreliable and flakey.

My OS is Windows ME.

The main features that I want are :

1. Can write to CD.

2. Can automate on a pre-set schedule.

3. Stable, and reliable.

4. Practical and intuitive interface.

5. Easy backup restore process and interface.

6. Easy selection of folders and items for backup.

Compression or encryption are not needed. Also, I never need more backups
that what will fit on one CD. I guess my needs boil down to reliability
and intuitive interface, as well as automation if possible in the same
package.

When I started out looking for an acceptable product a year ago, I thought
that it would be simple to find a very good product for my limited backup
needs. I don't feel the same way now, after reading glowing reviews about
Genie Backup Program and then using it for a year.

I hope this is posted in the right groups. If better or more proper groups
exist, I would appreciate direction to them.

Thank you very much for any helpful input on this !!!

--James--

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

> About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time researching the internet
> and
> reading many reviews, to select a good, reliable , backup utility. >
> --James--

I use this; http://www.stompsoft.com/bump.html I've bee using it for a
couple of years and am satisfied.
I believe it meets all your criteria. A trial download is available.

I also have Retrospect from Dantz and like it less. (I don't care for the
interface mostly)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time researching the internet and
>reading many reviews, to select a good, reliable , backup utility. After
>much effort and reading, I selected Genie Backup Program. Although it has
>the features that I love and has a pretty intuitive interface, I find it to
>be unreliable and flakey.
>
>My OS is Windows ME.

Which itself is the most unreliable and flakey version of Windows
ever inflicted by Bill Gates on an already suffering public.
Before giving up on Genie, if I were you I would replace WinMe
with WinXP, either Home or Pro. Clean install, rather than an
upgrade, to eliminate any possible after effects of ME. You may
very well be surprised to see Genie settle down and behave
itself.
--
OJ III

James Nipper wrote:

> About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time researching the internet and
> reading many reviews, to select a good, reliable , backup utility. After
> much effort and reading, I selected Genie Backup Program. Although it has
> the features that I love and has a pretty intuitive interface, I find it to
> be unreliable and flakey.
>
> My OS is Windows ME.
>
> The main features that I want are :
>
> 1. Can write to CD.
>
> 2. Can automate on a pre-set schedule.
>
> 3. Stable, and reliable.
>
> 4. Practical and intuitive interface.
>
> 5. Easy backup restore process and interface.
>
> 6. Easy selection of folders and items for backup.

> Compression or encryption are not needed. Also, I never need more backups
> that what will fit on one CD. I guess my needs boil down to reliability
> and intuitive interface, as well as automation if possible in the same

Whether or not your entire backup session will fit on one CD all depends
on how much data you're backing up.

I use Powerquest's (now Symantec's) Drive Image and couldn't be happier.

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes, my backup needs will fit on one cd. That was part of my post.

--James--

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Drive Image 7 would be a good choice, it will do what you want and do it on
one CD PROVIDING you're not trying to back up a huge amount of data on one
CD. With compression, Drive Image 7 can fit about 900 megs of raw data on a
700 meg CD. Personally, I have two 60 gig drives in my computer, and reserve
the second one for images of partitions on my first drive.

Paul Riemerman

> Yes, my backup needs will fit on one cd. That was part of my post.
>

> --James--

If your backup needs will fit on one CD, the try getting rid of Windows Me
and do a fresh install of Windows XP Home. Since XP has it's own CD burning
program, you'll not need a third-party utility to do so in the future, and
you'll cure any future problems with WinMe....

Thanks for crossposting. (slashed)

Stew

"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> Drive Image 7 would be a good choice, it will do what you want and do it
> on one CD PROVIDING you're not trying to back up a huge amount of data on
> one CD. With compression, Drive Image 7 can fit about 900 megs of raw data
> on a 700 meg CD. Personally, I have two 60 gig drives in my computer, and
> reserve the second one for images of partitions on my first drive.
>
> Paul Riemerman
>

> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Yes, my backup needs will fit on one cd. That was part of my post.
>>

>> --James--

So, Windows XP (Home) will **automate** the backing up of selected
folder and files, and burn them to a cd ??

Thanks !!

--James--

-------------------------------------

> So, Windows XP (Home) will **automate** the backing up of selected
> folder and files, and burn them to a cd ??
>
> Thanks !!
>
> --James--
>
> -------------------------------------
>

> If your backup needs will fit on one CD, the try getting rid of Windows Me
> and do a fresh install of Windows XP Home. Since XP has it's own CD
> burning
> program, you'll not need a third-party utility to do so in the future, and
> you'll cure any future problems with WinMe....
>
> Thanks for crossposting. (slashed)
>
> Stew

Nope, to my knowledge, it (nor does XP Pro) doesn't automate the backup.

Stew

Ok Stew, but that was item 2 on my list of parameters that I am
searching for..........

Thanks 1!

--James--

> Ok Stew, but that was item 2 on my list of parameters that I am
> searching for..........
>

> Thanks 1!
>
> --James--

James,

You bet. I dropped the ball. Was trying to improve your function and your
OS at the same time. The search for automation continues....

Stew

James Nipper wrote:

> So, Windows XP (Home) will **automate** the backing up of selected
> folder and files, and burn them to a cd ??

While XP might have some of the basic features, I rather doubt that
it has all the features of a third-party program, such as selective
file restoration, etc.

Notan

Notan wrote:

> James Nipper wrote:
> >
> > So, Windows XP (Home) will **automate** the backing up of selected
> > folder and files, and burn them to a cd ??
>
> While XP might have some of the basic features, I rather doubt that
> it has all the features of a third-party program, such as selective
> file restoration, etc.
>
> Notan

Well, I just took a look at the XP backup program and, apparently,
it *can* do selective file restoration.

Who'da thunkit? <g>

If you try it, let us know what you find.

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"[Windows ME] itself is the most unreliable and flakey version of Windows
ever inflicted by Bill Gates on an already suffering public."

Hey, not so fast there. Remember Microsoft Bob?
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>
> >About a year ago, I spent a great deal of time researching the internet
and
> >reading many reviews, to select a good, reliable , backup
utility....<snip>

"Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote

>"[Windows ME] itself is the most unreliable and flakey version of Windows
>ever inflicted by Bill Gates on an already suffering public."

>Hey, not so fast there. Remember Microsoft Bob?

<Tttttthhhhhhphphphphphphtttttt> Ya got me Rocky.

[And you can expect a return barrage of precision guided
munitions. I had spend the better part of the last two decades
trying to *forget* Microsoft Bob, and had been /successful/!!!!!
until you reminded me just now. Such an evil, evil deed, however
much expected from Boris and Natasha, cannot go unpunished coming
from you.]
--
OJ III

Shane

> "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> >"[Windows ME] itself is the most unreliable and flakey version of Windows
> >ever inflicted by Bill Gates on an already suffering public."
>
> >Hey, not so fast there. Remember Microsoft Bob?
>
> <Tttttthhhhhhphphphphphphtttttt> Ya got me Rocky.
>
> [And you can expect a return barrage of precision guided
> munitions. I had spend the better part of the last two decades
> trying to *forget* Microsoft Bob, and had been /successful/!!!!!
> until you reminded me just now. Such an evil, evil deed, however
> much expected from Boris and Natasha, cannot go unpunished coming
> from you.]

You want a copy?

:)

Shane

JimmyG

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004

My XP pro (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe) version of backup has a
schedule tab on it. Isn't that automation?

"jimmyg" <jg@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My XP pro (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe) version of backup has a
> schedule tab on it. Isn't that automation?

start/programs/accessories/system tools/backup points to that same .exe.
Mine has no scheduler tab, though it may be available somewhere within the
GUI.

Stew