Best bang for the buck CPU upgrade from an i5 760

Frans562

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Hey guys, what would be a good CPU upgrade from the i5 760 that won't rape my bank account? Right now my 760 is running stable on a 4 GHz overclock but lately I noticed that it hits 100% at times while playing BF4 thus making the frame rates go down (I'd say it lasts for about 3 to 4 seconds) which I find sort of annoying. I'm willing to also change my motherboard to whatever socket the CPU you guys suggests :). Thanks in advance! :D

Hi OP,

I believe that you are strictly in gaming. Hence, I suggest you to stay with INTEL rather than jumping on AMD because FX processors have no future proof as the company is focusing over APU.

Here's the list of Intel processors (gaming-wise) you've might heard till now:

Intel i5 4590

Intel i5 4690

Intel i5 4670

Intel i7 4770

Intel i7 3770

If you don't want to kill your budget, then I would say to choose a lease expensive Intel processor which possesses a high single-core performance as it is required for high-end gaming. I would recommend i5-4690 (195$ approximate).

Reason: 4690's per core performance is far better than i7 4770, 3770, and 4670. With i5-4690, you can have your games running in your PC with silky-smooth performance. Hope it helped you. Have fun.

Frans562

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013

Great! that CPU is right on my budget I might even get the K version so I could overclock it, your answer is very informative and helpful, thank you!

AMD might their FX lines as they have teased about it in pictures. Also, they are not focusing on APU's. They have their new steamroller CPU's in development. Their is a little bit more to come. the least expensive intel processor is also a bad choice. Once you get below the $200, AMD CPU's tend to dominate. Also I wouldn't get the 4690 because it has so little overclocking capabilities. He should get the k version if he gets one.

Thanks for your reply with valuable facts. Steamroller is an architecture in APU.. Also, no matter how many cores the CPU has, per-core performance comes to the picture when gaming is necessary. An Universal truth to be accepted. Also, I've listed the processors in my above post which can perform very well in the real-time. "AMD might their FX lines as they have teased about it in pictures". Sometimes, people don't want 'might' coming up with their decisions. It should be a firm decision, either yes/no by the respective companies. As you said, their concentration is on Steamroller and I concur. Also, AMD is far away from Intel. And, If OP has mentioned about overclocking, I would have recommended K-version. In the meantime, the OP must have Z intel chipset board to overclock the processor. Taking the overall consideration of the OP, I stopped by non-k version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I said their might be a new AMD non APU CPU coming, but that is to let people know that it may not be dead .However I never said that there is a guarantee, hence why I never recommend waiting for what may come. The only reason I mention that every once in a while, is that it is a nice thing to know, but not necessary. AMD is developing CPU's that are not APU's, but they won't be out for a while. Also, I do not recommend AMD unless you go for the lower end AMD (or the bang for your buck scenario, but even then it depends on their budget). I stated above that intel and its side is more active and that he should go that route. I usually recommend the k version, simply because it is better to have the ability than not have the ability. Some end up wanting to overclock at one point even if they were not planning on it originally. I just recommend the k version to open more opportunities. I am not meaning to start a debate here, and I am going to leave this.