[SOLVED] Best barebones for 150

dosmastrify

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2016
Hi All,

Tldr: lga1150 asrock mobo fried, have everything else, curious if for 150 I could do alot better than a z97 board with i5 4570 and 4 sticks of ddr3.

Details:

My asrock lga 1150 motherboard has gone south.
Its giving me 3 short beeps at POST (RAM right?) but when I put the ram in my other pc, it works just fine. I've tested all 4 sticks alone in channel a and also channel b. No ram installed generates 3 long beeps. Assuming the board is failing.

Sooo I have 4 4gb sticks of ddr3 and a i5 4570 and a reasonably nice cpu cooler which I could either sell to buy better or just plug back in to a new board.

It looks like the cpu is still worth about 50 bucks on ebay, and scpc has boards for 75 delivered.

I'm pretty strapped but if I sell everything and get 100 bucks, I can throw in 50 more.

I know when I built the pc in 2014 amds offerings weren't competing.... But I've been out of the game a long time and don't know what's what anymore. Toms cheap cpu guide suggests athlon 200 but that looks only about as good as the 4570 I already have.

I would appreciate any suggestions or caveats you have.

Solution
You want a comparison between just buying a motherboard and selling your CPU and Ram to afford something better?

I would just get a motherboard and save your money. Doesn't have to be Z97 either, since it is a locked processor, just compatible.

You need at least $300 to get something worthwhile. You could consider something like an i3-10100, basically equivalent to an overclocked 4th gen i7 (sort of) but that is $145 just for the CPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You want a comparison between just buying a motherboard and selling your CPU and Ram to afford something better?

I would just get a motherboard and save your money. Doesn't have to be Z97 either, since it is a locked processor, just compatible.

You need at least $300 to get something worthwhile. You could consider something like an i3-10100, basically equivalent to an overclocked 4th gen i7 (sort of) but that is $145 just for the CPU.

Reactions: dosmastrify
Solution

TRENDING THREADS