Discussion Best BIOS? Worst BIOS?

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
I recently upgraded from an old ASRock to a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro and when that turned out to have issues (ever heard of a loud mainboard of all things?) I bought a Rog Strix B550-F Gaming. I never even considered the Bios as a point to watch out for. That rapidly changed a short time ago.

To be concise: The ASUS Bios sucks. I know that ASRock was infamous for horrible BIOSes but ASUS blows that out of the water imo. Mouse speeds that would make a snail scoff. Unintuitive FanControls you mainly have to use via said mouse. It automatically installs those garbage software-packs that honestly feel like bloat- or freeware with how badly they function and look and how unintuitive they are. You also have to manually enable the option to use the legacy bootloader for Win10. Like, why? Why have an option to hide another 5 options some people might actually need and not know about? Also, some options are hidden in advanced mode and can only be seen in basic mode????
Meanwhile, Gigabyte has clear and easy to configure FanControls which are simple to configure by keyboard and have great sub-options (mousespeed is garbage here too but at least not with pixel-perfect options menus), you can immediately see every important info you might want in basic and advanced mode and everything works out of the box. Well, almost everything.

I had to update the Bios on both boards because I somehow got my hands on an R5 5600X without paying exorbitant sums or waiting for 4 months and ofc i only got early revisions that needed to be updated. No problems on either board concerning that. Both boards pretty much have the same options, ASUS' layout is just bad. According to the forums the ASUS ROG Bios apparently has had some issues for over two years now with no signs of ever getting patched in this life. ASUS also somewhat tries to make you use that horrible AI Suite software which is pretty much everything you MIGHT want in a Bios but it comes packaged in this horrible software that actually CONFLICTS with ASUS' own Bios.

Despite me having less than zero desire to rebuild my PC for the third time this month i will switch out my mainboard again. I will probably attempt to buy an B550 Aorus Pro AC or the X570 Elite. I just hope i don't lose the QA Roulette again.

Would love to hear some opinions of the community here.

EDIT: I'm switching out my MB again because the M.2 1 slot is dead not because i think the Bios is bad. The Aorus one before that constantly ramped my CPU and CPU fan up even when idle and made strange noises (imagine a very small fridge) and now the Asus one has the dead M.2 slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to install any softwares you don't want to. AI SUITE doesn't have to be installed. No other softwares needs to be installed. You are the one controlling what software you install.

And for the BIOS even if a BIOS is crappy it's still there and a system should work just fine anyway even if the BIOS is ugly.

If you had issues you didn't tell us what is was except that you didn't like the BIOS.

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
Edited the original post for clarity.
I originally didn't want to install ANY software concerning that but it auto-installed some control programs for RGB on Patriot Viper sticks and Universal Holtek sticks. ROG Amoury Crate installed itself directly when i booted the PC for the first time with the new MB and tried to get me to install the auto-updater and some other stuff. Pretty egregious imo.

A functioning but crappy BIOS is, by definition, worse than a functioning but well done BIOS. And my system, barring the M.2 Drive, runs fine, with the exception of my fans, which not only can't be configured very well but i can't even, for example, increase the maximum temp threshold for my CPU Fan from 75 to 90 without installing AI Suite.