Best brand for 3 way CFX?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have been searching and searching and I always find Corsair. I planned on spending around 230 for the psu just to make sure I get the best.
I am building a computer and have for sure future plans with so I am building to make sure I meet the needs.
For one I will have 3 way CFX, my board actually allows quad but I am not sure the 5850 does quad.
I plan on getting the new Asus 5850 and I am getting just one when I purchase but I plan on having the other two by christmas.
I will be running tons of fans, at tops 4 dvd drives, and atleast one SDD, and one HDD, but will probably get 2 SDD and 3-4 HDD's by
the time its completly done. Then I am just getting th AMD 955 and the new MSI GD70, and lastly I will have 4 gigs of dominators, and will be 8 soon enough.

So I wasn't quite sure what the min. was on 3CFX cause when they say CFX I assume 2 cards. But there will be 3 of them
running my computer, and I wanted to make sure I got the best PSU I can get.
I figured I would need around 1000 watts and 6 6pin connectors, and pretty much most psu's with that many hookups has enough amps.
I would it to have the 80 certified so bronze, silver or gold!

Anyways thats what I have been looking for and I just wanted to know how much wattage this would all take and what brands you recommend.
I heard that: Corsair, PC power and cooling, silverstone, thermaltake, OCZ, seasonic, and several more so I just got overwhelmed
so if some one could recommend a enthusiats psu of 3CFX please post what psu you think would fit me

Solution
^5 +1 what AsAnAtheist said.

Luckily the ATI radeon HD 5850 video cards are energy efficient. For a system with three of those cards figure on an 850 watt or greater power supply with six, 6 pin, PCI-e power connectors. The Corsair TX850 only comes with four PCI-e power connectors so I'd recommend bumping it up to the TX950 which comes with six, 6+2 pin, PCI-e power connectors.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Alrighty. I would recommend an 850w-1000w power supply, with a minimum of bronze 80 plus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013

This one is a Corsair 950w TX (non modular), sells for $149.99 and has a $10 Mail in Rebate.
78a on the 12v rail, very good reviews. This is enough for 3 way HD 5850 crossfire.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=170

If you want to pony up nearly another $100 for modular design, and 50w more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

^5 +1 what AsAnAtheist said.

Luckily the ATI radeon HD 5850 video cards are energy efficient. For a system with three of those cards figure on an 850 watt or greater power supply with six, 6 pin, PCI-e power connectors. The Corsair TX850 only comes with four PCI-e power connectors so I'd recommend bumping it up to the TX950 which comes with six, 6+2 pin, PCI-e power connectors.

Solution

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I found thee ST-1000-P from silverstone, I thought it would be a great buy for the money, it has the single rail, modular, 7 year warr., and its a silverstone.
I was looking at the ST-1200 but it was sweet but more $.
What do you think of the ST-1000-P!

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
It has great ratings where ever I go, my first bet was corsair, till a buddie told me about thee Stiders. Yeah corsair is recommended everywhere as a good psu.
I was looking at the 1000HX, the blue one, it was one of my first picks, but the ST was just a little cheaper.
The only problem is, if the st-1000-p will stay instock!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I don't recommend the Silverstone ST-1000 p for the amount of $$$ you have shelled out for your rig (Strider Plus 1000w, an Enhance OEM.):
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=180

While it did perform very well, it did not surpass Corsair's (Channel Well OEM) quality. Your dealing with some really expensive equipment well over $900-$1000 in pure graphics cards, it would be a shame to loose any one of those due to a power supply blowing. With my rig I am using a Tuniq Potency 650w PSU for product testing purposes but I still have a Corsair TX750w standing by for backup.

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
850 watts is more than enough for 3x5850s or 3x5870s.

I would suggest one of these as there aren't many 1000+ watt units that can match their quality:

Antec CP-850 (Only fits Antec P183/P193/1200 cases)
Antec Signature SG-850
Corsair 850HX (built on a higher quality platform than the 1000HX)
Seasonic M12D-850
XFX XPS-850 Black Edition

What made you think Silverstone power supplies were super high end? The veterans here tend to go by competent technical reviws such as the one AsAnAtheust linked to.

Silverstone, Coolermaster, and Thermaltake have some really great cases. The same cannot be said of their power supplies. They probably should have stuck with pc cases. Now that I think about it OCZ should have stuck to memory products.

Logan the Huge is correct. A high quality 850 watt power supply can defintely power a pc system with three 5850 or 5870 video cards. Here's a link to the new Corsair HX850 Silver Certified psu he mentioned:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&cm_re=corsair_850w_power_supply-_-17-139-011-_-Product

It earned a silver certification for energy efficiency. It comes with six, 6+2 pin, PCI-e power connectors. It comes with a 7 year warranty.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well I was going to get the Utlra X4 1050, that was the first psu I wanted to get but then was getting more and more people saying corsair, or silverstone or pc power and supply. But I think the Ultra X4 is pretty sweet if I say so myself, has everything that I needed! Modular, Silver, Single Rail, and Lifetime Warr!

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Scratch the Ultra I just read the review from the link from up top and it didnt even meet its 80+silver!!! Shocking.
I am going to read the reviews like the link up there, I think there is two corsairs that I need to look at first the CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W, which you just showed me.
Second CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX from ealier. Then there is the 1000 watt one, should I check the review on it too??
The link up there is a bookmark now :) thnks

It's very simple. The ATI 5000 series video cards are energy efficient. They do not require as much power as people think. A high quality 850 watt psu is more than sufficient. A 1,000 watt power supply is overkill. It would be different if you were going to buy power hungry cards and a low budget, low quality power supply of questionable performance and value.

Corsair is a brand that has a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. The newer models such as the HX850 come with a 7 year warranty.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Geez the HX850 was amazing!! The review on the Guru, wow it dosen't have a silver medal but it should, it hit 90.1%! I can totally see me putting it in my CM 692 case, and for the kicker its blue! I am going to read the others review also, but if there is more of this to come than I am excited.
The ultra compared to the corsair after there reviews, the ultra should stop making psu's and just bank money of there patent, it looked like a dumb 14 year old saudered it.lol
Yeah like you said I plan on getting the new Asus 5850 and just OCing them, but I was thinking about getting a 5870 cause I saw some benchs and it was creaming the everything as far fps go.
IDK what do you guys think about Ocing a 5850 instead of a 5870, some say ya some say na. Its not really a cash factor just more of not spending were it dosnen't need to be spent kind of thing.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah the Silverstones I have read so far are just normal as the next,
I checked out the corsair HX1000 and it wasn't so bad, but I wouldn't get it over the HX 850, unless I really needed that much. I thought it was funny that the 1000 was SLI certified. I wonder Why they would do that??lol""

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So far I have been going through one after another, and the Corsair HX 850 is the best of the best! There were a few that were up there but not as good overall.
The Antec sg850 did good but it only had connectors for 2 cards.
Right now I plan on buying one of the corsairs.
The HX 1000 did just as good as the 850 and got a 9.5 instead of a 9.6, so its safe to say I would buy either with out any regrets!!
I am glad I posted something tonight cause I could of ended up with the ultra X4 thinking I had a good even normal psu.

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The only problem with the 850HX is that Corsair seems to be having some supply issues with it at the moment. I noticed this a few days ago when I saw that it was sold out at newegg and that they had jacked the price up by $20-$30. I checked nearly a dozen other online retailers and none of them had it in stock either. I just spot checked a few right now and that still seems to be the case. This is probably going to cost Corsair a lot of money if they can't get these units back into the retail channel soon.

The Antec sg850 did good but it only had connectors for 2 cards.
It's might not be not the most elegant solution but most high end video cards come with molex to pci-e adapters so that wouldn't be a problem from a power standpoint.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

Apart from the fact you can't 3-way the 5970 - they're already dual GPU cards and Quadfire is the highest you can go.

Unless you're gonna have the 3rd 5970 as a stand-alone unit.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
You can just wait and get the new 5870-6's they will have 6 screen capability.

Yeah thee HX 850 is probably not going to be in stock when I order, so I plan getting the HX1000, it did just as good with the guru's tests, it might be a little more dough but hey its worth it. But if the 850 is in stock when I order I will definetly get it.

I thought about quad a 5850 or 5870, the board I am going to use has enough space, but my case only has 7 slot, so the bottom's connections woudl be in the way. I dont plan on having 3 way till around Christmas so by then I should come in handy, cause there is no need to get three now.
I am going to check a few more psu's but the sg850 was odd shaped, and I think it only fits in the antec's like the 1200(which was one of the cases I wanted)
But Corsair is hands down efficent dependable, and worth your cash.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Oh yeah thats the one that was on the Guru, and for 109 dollars it scored up with the Corsair 850. The 850 is the single most amazing accomplishment by man. So to score up in the leagues with it, is impressive. But thats if you getting the antec 1200, which is actually a really good reason to go with it, I have been thinking about changing cases even after I fell in love with the CM 692 advanced.
I wish it were to weekend cause I am going to have a field day, of reading specs, reviews, as most of all PICS & VIDEOS of all the new goodies that I want and can't have(right now). So hopefully the week flys by like nothing happened, so this weekend shiz is going down my friend, and my one wish is to drop prices on everything, and make all the new parts not to expensive.