Best brand for an ATi 5850 or 5870?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Powercolor, Sapphire, MSI, Asus, XFX? I am seriously rthinking of getting one of these but which is the most dependable and with the best heatsink, spacing, clocks, software, support, ect?

Solution
The boards are all the same. Most have a stock reference cooler except the Sapphire Vapor-X I believe. I think XFX has some slightly OCed 5850's as well. But other than that they are virtually all the same (maybe a few BIOS items, but that is it). You are paying for the support and warranty periods. I personally replace my video card every year, hopefully the 5870 lasts me longer, so a lifetime warranty doesn't really matter to me. As long as its 2 years or maybe 3 I don't care.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Sapphire Vapor-X, hands down!

The boards are all the same. Most have a stock reference cooler except the Sapphire Vapor-X I believe. I think XFX has some slightly OCed 5850's as well. But other than that they are virtually all the same (maybe a few BIOS items, but that is it). You are paying for the support and warranty periods. I personally replace my video card every year, hopefully the 5870 lasts me longer, so a lifetime warranty doesn't really matter to me. As long as its 2 years or maybe 3 I don't care.

Solution
Agreed^^ I just cannot buy a GPU of that caliber/price if it only has a 2 year warranty, even if I upgrade every 2 years I would still benefit from the warranty. You never know what can happen and to be honest, if a 400 dollar GPU dies on me after 2 years it would be a shame to not be able to replace it, specially when it's time to upgrade and all you have to do is slap another card for CF.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Powercolor odd enough is the top of the line for ATI, but I would guess for the 5800 series they are all the same. So go with the one with the best warranty. And that would be XFX. You can't beat a lifetime warranty.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

The Toxic is an overclocked version and the Atomic is a extreme OC'ed card. They all use the Vapor-X cooling tech and other tweaks.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I got the Sapphire 5850, I was wondering why Powercolor is actually a bit more expensive and one of you guys actually said its the TOP of the line for ATi cards? Really? If so, why? How is Sapphire compared to the Powercolor one?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

thanks, i ended up getting the stock sapphire anyway and it was at a cool $260 so I dont feel one bit bad...