Question Best budget 32" gaming monitor

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone, i am having a hard time deciding on what budget gaming monitor to purchase.
This is what i am looking for:
  1. 32"
  2. WQHD
  3. 2K resolution, 4K would be very expensive
  4. 1ms (GtG) ( not sure this is possible for a budget monitor)
  5. Display Port
  6. HDR 10 (again not sure if this is available for budget monitors) probably it would be HDR 400
  7. Curved
  8. 144hz
  9. VA Panel
Samsung Odyssey G5 32" is one of the monitors i am considering that has all the above specs except the 1ms (GtG) at a good price.
However, I have seen reviews where they say that the Samsung G5 Odyssey is not very bright, it has low contrast ratio and also doesnt support wide gamut colours.
I am not really interested on a particular brand. https://www.samsung.com/za/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g5-32-inch-144hz-1ms-curved-lc32g55tqwrxen/

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I know, neither the SAMSUNG G5 neither the ASUS VG32VQ are perfect but for a WQHD resolution this is very cheap.

However i am now reconsidering the samsung g5 1000R curve, i think that its too much since i am also doing a lot of work on my PC, i use BIM software for architectural and structural modelling.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Why_Me

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I have been doing a bit more research and i have canceled out GIGABYTE and AOC due to bad customer service.

I am leaning towards ASUS monitors now. I already have an Asus graphics card and an asus motherboard...from what i remember they have good customer support in Germany, which is from where i get my stuff from but i am located in Cyprus. Also they are a big brand with good quality products.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can someone compare these two for me?

ASUS ROG STRIX XG32VC
ASUS TUF GAMING VG32VQ

I mean, is there something specific about the XG32VC that is worth the 100extra euros, other than then response time?

From what i can tell (there could be more differences, didn't look that in-depth);
ROG - 170 Hz, USB-C, USB Hub: 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A, Lighting effect (Aura) : Aura Sync, power consumption: 39W
TUF - 144 Hz, HDMI 2.0 (TUF has two HDMI ports, ROG has one HDMI port), power consumption: 90W

ROG has more features, has higher refresh rate, some RGB eyecandy, consumes 2.1 times less power and overall, is justified in price gap compared to TUF.

What about their HDR technologies, i dont understand their differences or which is best?

Both monitors have HDR10, so it doesn't matter which one you go for, in terms of HDR.
Further reading about what HDR is: https://www.viewsonic.com/library/photography/what-is-hdr-hdr-vs-sdr/

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I am going with the GIGABYTE AORUS FI32Q

Compared to both Asus VA panels above, that IPS panel has poor contrast ratio of 1000:1. <- This is one of the flaws of IPS panel, since this doesn't make blacks look black, instead gray or some form of blue. Now, VA panel is made taking the best of both panels, TN and IPS. Due to that, with VA panels, min contrast ratio they have, is 3000:1, where only VA panel is capable of producing the deepest and richest blacks.
Contrast ratio wise, TN panel is equal to IPS panel, 1000:1.

Further reading about contrast ratio: https://www.cnet.com/culture/contrast-ratio-or-how-every-tv-manufacturer-lies-to-you/

Overall;
TN - best performance (refresh rate, response time etc).
IPS - best color accuracy, best viewing angles.
VA - overall best including best contrast ratio. VA is like jack of all trades.

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Yes i did read about the contrast of IPS panels, however i am willing to sacrifice that over the black smearing of VA panels. After watching the above video i dont think i could bear black smearing while gaming, even if other panels have lower black smearing than the video illustrates.

After all i already have a samsung 1080p IPS panel and still the graphics where fine. Therefore the AORUS FI32Q is a major upgrade for me.

Since i am already used to IPS panels i dont want to be surprised with how bad black smearing may be.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since i am already used to IPS panels i dont want to be surprised with how bad black smearing may be.
:ROFLMAO:

After all i already have a samsung 1080p IPS panel and still the graphics where fine. Therefore the AORUS FI32Q is a major upgrade for me.

That's fine. I upgraded from TN panel to VA panel, so i was blown away how good VA panel is, both color accuracy and rich blacks, that TN panel never can achieve. :LOL: