Best Budget 4K Monitors 2021

sreams

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Personally, I think the best budget 4K monitor is not a monitor. It's a TV. $350 gets you a decent Samsung 50" 4K TV that does 4:4:4 color at 60Hz with minimal latency. I use one, and it's like having a 4x4 grid of 25" 1080p displays without the bezels.

Feb 23, 2021
I tend to agree with you; I picked up a 55Q65FN a year or so ago for about $400 and could not be happier. If I need high refresh rate I drop back to 1440p with 120hz, or enjoy 4k 60hz. For the price you simply cannot beat it.

I use it daily for work, gaming you name it is great. I do need to mount it to the wall though viewing distance right now is probably less than optimal ;)

Personally, I think the best budget 4K monitor is not a monitor. It's a TV. $350 gets you a decent Samsung 50" 4K TV that does 4:4:4 color at 60Hz with minimal latency. I use one, and it's like having a 4x4 grid of 25" 1080p displays without the bezels.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Curious at what distance from the 50-55" 4k TV screen your eyes are? I have a 32" Samsung 4K monitor on my desk corner which for gaming and casual use my eyes are 24-28" away from screen. I also have a 50" Samsung 4K TV but on a stand roughly 5' from my head. Both screens appear side by side and relatively equivalent in size to my eyes and each pretty much fill my direct vision glass frames frontally when sitting in my desk gaming chair. If the TV screen was on my desk at same distance as my monitor it would seem way too large for me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021
Yeah, it is at probably at about 30".... I fully intended to wall mount it behind my desk to slightly increase the distance but simply haven't gotten around to it.

The majority of my time working I just use the bottom half for active apps with less used items up top. For gaming I don't really notice an issue with it; Sim racing feels like sitting directly in the car. For other titles if I don't feel like staring at a wall of screen, I just run windowed while I'm watching a show or what not. Is it for everyone probably not but for the price... I couldn't beat it.

That said I did have to turn that brightness down... when I fired it up that first time it was like staring at the sun.

Curious at what distance from the 50-55" 4k TV screen your eyes are? I have a 32" Samsung 4K monitor on my desk corner which for gaming and casual use my eyes are 24-28" away from screen. I also have a 50" Samsung 4K TV but on a stand roughly 5' from my head. Both screens appear side by side and relatively equivalent in size to my eyes and each pretty much fill my direct vision glass frames frontally when sitting in my desk gaming chair. If the TV screen was on my desk at same distance as my monitor it would seem way too large for me.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I sit about 33 inches away from my Acer 48in 4K monitor primary monitor (60yr old eyes). I was using a 50in 4K Vizio before the monitor. I chose getting a monitor over the TV for the DisplayPort interface. My GTX-1080 card only has 1 HMDI output and I have that hooked to a 40in 4K TV (secondary use as monitor, mostly for TV). I have the Acer and the "real budget" Sceptre 27in 4K (bought 3 years ago on Black Friday for $149) hooked up via DisplayPort. Not for gaming, but for database development. If I need the real estate I run all three 4K monitors at the same time but usually the 40in is for keeping up on the news.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I've made a few changes. The secondary 27in Sceptre has been replaced (died after only 2 years of use) with a 28in Samsung U28H75 purchased used locally. Great little monitor. The 48in Acer remains my primary display and the 8 year old 40in Seiki continues to soldier on as a TV for primary use but still is hooked to the PC via HDMI for use as another 4k display when needed. The Duke GTX-1080 has been retired for a EVGA RTX-3070 ti FTW3. For my kid's computers I have one running a Vizio 40in 4K TV with a Acer 28in KG281 4K secondary display while the other one has a LG UL500-W 32in 4K with another Sceptre 27in 4K secondary display. My wife's computer is running a 40in 4K TV as the primary display for her limited gaming use (mostly solitaire and slot machine programs). My spare computer is using a 43in HP3XE86A8 4K Business display since it is not a gaming machine. I've got three more 32in LG monitors packaged up with Ryzen Zen 3 computers I built for my brothers but have not been able to deliver yet due to Covid. Really, really sick for about a month. Covid is no joke.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I sit 28 inches away from my Samsung 55inch QLED 8K TV. The text is scaled to 175%. It is like having four 28in 4K displays together without bezels. It is the last step of many monitor upgrades over the last decade. I bought it this spring. It replaced a 49in 4K Acer computer monitor (purchased Feb 2018) which replaced a 50in Vizio 4K TV (M series, Summer 2016), which replaced a 43in Vizio 4K TV (M-series, Fall 2015), which replaced a 40in Seiki 4K TV (Spring 2013), which replaced four Acer 23in FHD monitors (pre-2010).

I bought the big monitors to help with my coding and spreadsheets. I'm not a gamer but I do play some simulation type games from time to time - not FPS typically.

Now initially when I put the first TV on my desk to replace monitors I felt overwhelmed by the size and that was the 40in Seiki. But as time wore on I got used it until I found myself constrained by the amount of data I could fit on the screen. Since then with each increase in size the cycle continued. I went from the 50in TV to the 49in monitor in order to adjust the text scale from 150% to 100% which gave me more data on the screen. But I found myselft needing more room from time to time so I ended up adding a Samsung 4K 28in on one side and remounted the 40in Seiki above the desk monitor as a TV or third monitor. But all of the side to side and up and down head movement caused some pain as I had some questionable disks in my neck. Last year I had to have a complete cervical fusion and so I had to change my computer monitor arrangement when I healed up. That led to the 8K purchase.