[SOLVED] Best budget board to game and use a VM on?

Oct 22, 2019
So I recently found out that I have a super outdated motherboard (MS-7673) from about 2011 and I was wondering what the best budget motherboard I can get that will allow me to play videogames on it along with use a Virtual machine. My current processor is an "Intel i7-2600k 3.40 GHz, 3401 Mhz with 4 cores" I appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited:
Solution
You won't be able to update little by little, not for the core components. Cpus need to match the motherboard, and with the advent of DDR4, even ram needs replacing.

Right now you have a 2nd Gen Intel mobo. That'll handle 2nd/3rd gen lga1155 cpus. DDR3. Spending money on a better lga1155 mobo is wasted. You end up no better off overall than you are now. Moving to 6th/7th gen lga1151 is almost as bad, as you'll need cpu, mobo, DDR4, but still remain with the same quad core cpus that are a few % faster and cost roughly the same as new stuff.

Which leaves Ryzens AM4 and 8th/9th gen Intel lga1151. (version 2).

You can buy piecemeal, part by part, but it's all useless until you have cpu, mobo, ram. And maybe a cooler too depending on cpu.
Oct 22, 2019
not that much different if you are keeping the same old cpu
I'm slowly updating my setup, the CPU is going to be the next thing to get upgraded but for now, I'm going to use it since it allows virtualization, however, my motherboard (MS-7673) MSI that it doesn't support virtualization, so I'm looking for something cheap to use until I get money to get a really good motherboard. It's just so I can use my VM until then.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You won't be able to update little by little, not for the core components. Cpus need to match the motherboard, and with the advent of DDR4, even ram needs replacing.

Right now you have a 2nd Gen Intel mobo. That'll handle 2nd/3rd gen lga1155 cpus. DDR3. Spending money on a better lga1155 mobo is wasted. You end up no better off overall than you are now. Moving to 6th/7th gen lga1151 is almost as bad, as you'll need cpu, mobo, DDR4, but still remain with the same quad core cpus that are a few % faster and cost roughly the same as new stuff.

Which leaves Ryzens AM4 and 8th/9th gen Intel lga1151. (version 2).

You can buy piecemeal, part by part, but it's all useless until you have cpu, mobo, ram. And maybe a cooler too depending on cpu.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS