[SOLVED] Best budget Cpu for fast browsing

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I want make a new build for extreme browsing. Extreme i mean, not much upload or download, but, i do browsing very a lot, and i want be fast and snappy.
I know main is my connection , but question here is the best cpu for this job.

I thought of Pentium G 6605, G6405 or the fuster G6620.
Will it be any difference in performance for browsing, if the speed is 4,1 , 4,2 or 4,4 ghz pn these models ?
Do you have any other cpu to recommend ?

Solution
If my understanding is correct the new Edge is a re skinned version of Chrome.

My advice would be Firefox with "Ghostery" installed..Ghostery allows you to whitelist or blacklist cookies and trackers for each site.
It will block images,, videos, ads etc... with imbedded tracking , so some sites will have blank areas where these would normally appear.
As an example on TH articles I have a 2 page blank space while scrolling down the page between the end of the article and the comments section. So on some sites it breaks formatting on the pages with embedded images/ videos with tracking.
I have tried other ad blockers, tracking blockers, etc... over the years. This seems to work well for me.
I also run MalwareBytes premium which catches...
Any CPU from the last 5yrs will give you fast browsing. The bottleneck will be your storage RAM and internet connection. RAM not so much if you have sufficient. Storage you need fast NVME types SSD. Your motherboard plays a significant role here. If you are going intel your chipset should have somewhere between 1gbit to 10 gbit ethernet speeds. Probably same for AMD. But thats of no significance if your ISP doesnt provide such speeds. And most often than not that is the biggest bottleneck. So, it doesn't matter how good your hardware is, your browsing experience will be as good as your ISP can support.

Last edited:
The most important things are actually going to be software driven--os and browser will dictate the hardware. I wouldn't run anything less than 32GB of ram and try to run the browser completely from ram (chrome incognito mode does this automatically). Then you will need a lean enough OS to allow the only 2 cores of a pentium cpu to just do browsing duties--any OS interrupts will interrupt the browsing. Finally, while the Pentiums have decently fast single thread performance, I would look to faster single thread cpus if you want the ultimate. Oh, and a gpu that's gtx770 or better performance-wise. That should do it nicely.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
The most important things are actually going to be software driven--os and browser will dictate the hardware. I wouldn't run anything less than 32GB of ram and try to run the browser completely from ram (chrome incognito mode does this automatically). Then you will need a lean enough OS to allow the only 2 cores of a pentium cpu to just do browsing duties--any OS interrupts will interrupt the browsing. Finally, while the Pentiums have decently fast single thread performance, I would look to faster single thread cpus if you want the ultimate. Oh, and a gpu that's gtx770 or better performance-wise. That should do it nicely.

1. 32gb ram, to run the browser from ram what do you mean ? Something like Ram Disc installation ? Install chrome on ram .

2. What you mean lean enough OS and what OS interrupts ? I have win10 , i delete all unecessary extensions , i check for malware often, all. What you mean lean ? You mean Linux ?

3. Thats why i choose those lust models of Pentiums, they have very good single core performance . 2 cores i tough was ok. Otherwise i will go for the I310105 or i3 10320.

4. if you beleive need also strong gpu , maybe a ryzen ?

Past the intenet connection, I think perhaps one of the most important parts will be a ssd.
While pcie 4 and nvme is nice, any good ssd used for the windows C drive would be my starting point.
Plan on sufficient ram to hold all of your active windows.
2 x 8gb would be the minimum.
Google Chrome is a notorious user of ram.
Test different browsers.
I am recently trying EDGE, and it is quite fast.
It can anticipate needs and preload what it thinks you will need.
Lastly, from a processor point of view, look at intel 11th gen i3-110100
The processor is quick and will turbo up when you need it.
11th gen i3 includes the faster cores which are some 20% faster per clock, compared to the less expensive gold cores.
What is your budget, and where would you shop?

InvalidError

Titan
Modern Pentiums are roughly equivalent to my i5-3470 and my i5 isn't particularly "extreme" for browsing at least by my opinion of what "extreme browsing" would be. I wouldn't go below i3 for "fast browsing" and would probably nudge that up to i5 for "extreme browsing."

As long as you have at least 16GB of RAM, SATA6G SSD, NVMe 3.0x4 or 4.0x4 won't make much of a difference for just browsing since files will be in-memory most of the time, even an HDD would still be fine unless your internet connection is 200+Mbps and might be faster than the HDD on average for loading small files. 32GB would have been a no-brainer for me a year ago when it cost only $90-100, not so much now that the prices have nearly doubled for the models I was looking at.

Intel's IGPs are fine for browsing. If I built a system for lightweight graphics and no intention of putting a GPU in, I'd aim for an i5-11500. 500-series motherboards are on the pricey side at the moment though. 10th-gen i5 with 400-series motherboard have pretty good deals, albeit with more limited memory support if going with a non-Z board and unusable first M.2 slot.

I would argue that a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 level of CPU, at least 8 GB of RAM, a decent internet connection, and hooked up via Ethernet are all you need.

Storage would only affect app launch times and maybe looking through bookmarks or history if you have a crapton of it. But otherwise, storage speed performance I would argue isn't as important. But if you want an SSD, a SATA drive is more than sufficient.

Otherwise, grab extensions for the browser to limit the amount of crap that the browser fetches for the page, such as uBlock and Disconnect. That can be a huge time saver.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Few days ago I bootet my old system ( simply for updating windows and trying, if it is still working) . It is a 3770K ( 4.3 Ghz)-system with 16 Gb 1866-Ram and a 1080ti, Windows is on SSD).

And surprise, trying out the same webpages I look daily with my modern system ( 3950x with 23 Gb Ram and only SSDs), I did not notice any difference.

That means, for browsing and office-work that old system ( december 2012), is fast enough.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
Ublock i use allready. Is really good.
My opinion is. i dont need super fast Cpu for browsing. Fast yes but not top class. Thats why i thought of Pentium Gold G6620. Runs on 4.4 without overclock. I think is ok for browsing. 16 gb ram and a samsung evo 860, or and NVME . I believe is fine. But i thought ask your opinion also.

Ublock i use allready. Is really good.
My opinion is. i dont need super fast Cpu for browsing. Fast yes but not top class. Thats why i thought of Pentium Gold G6620. Runs on 4.4 without overclock. I think is ok for browsing. 16 gb ram and a samsung evo 860, or and NVME . I believe is fine. But i thought ask your opinion also.
Looks good for what you want. You can go for it.

1. 32gb ram, to run the browser from ram what do you mean ? Something like Ram Disc installation ? Install chrome on ram .

2. What you mean lean enough OS and what OS interrupts ? I have win10 , i delete all unecessary extensions , i check for malware often, all. What you mean lean ? You mean Linux ?

3. Thats why i choose those lust models of Pentiums, they have very good single core performance . 2 cores i tough was ok. Otherwise i will go for the I310105 or i3 10320.

4. if you beleive need also strong gpu , maybe a ryzen ?
You can use a ram drive, but basically you do not want the browser writing to the drive. It should all be in ram.

Win 10 isn't lean--it's the fattest cow in the barn. You will need something that utilizes the hardware better and doesn't F around constantly in the background. Linux would be my choice, but a lean one as those can be some fat cows too.

Any of the i core processors will be faster than the pentiums. 2 cores is only enough for lean linux and legacy OSes like xp.

Ryzen is a cpu not a gpu.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
You can use a ram drive, but basically you do not want the browser writing to the drive. It should all be in ram.

Win 10 isn't lean--it's the fattest cow in the barn. You will need something that utilizes the hardware better and doesn't F around constantly in the background. Linux would be my choice, but a lean one as those can be some fat cows too.

Any of the i core processors will be faster than the pentiums. 2 cores is only enough for lean linux and legacy OSes like xp.

Ryzen is a cpu not a gpu.

I will try that with ram, but i think everything deleted after i stop browsing . Everything i mean, bookmarks, log in passwords etc. Correct ?

Which one , lean Linux do you recommend ? I never use Linux before.
Possibly you are correct about how strong Pentiums are, but i think for the hob i need a Cpu (Fast Browsing) wouldnt be a singificant difference comparing to an i3.

Of course AMD are not gpu. I mean, AMD they have much stronger , integrated graphics cpu. So , if gpu matters on browsing , i should buy one of those.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I will try that with ram, but i think everything deleted after i stop browsing . Everything i mean, bookmarks, log in passwords etc. Correct ?
But why dits not good the browser writing to the drive. It should all be in ram ?? For longer life of ssd ?

Possibly you are correct about how strong Pentiums are, but i think for the hob i need a Cpu (Fast Browsing) wouldnt be a singificant difference comparing to an i3.

Of course AMD are not gpu. I mean, AMD they have much stronger , integrated graphics cpu. So , if gpu matters on browsing , i should buy one of those.

You can set up browsers to not remember anything at all if you want this. Firefox has this option and I'm pretty sure Chrome can be set up to not remember anything. Alternatively, you could just ditch Chrome and try some other Chromium based browser like Brave if Chrome itself insists on remembering things.

Linux Mint Xcfe is a good one to start off with.

It doesn't really matter except for hardware video decoding support. But anything made in the past couple of years supports the major ones (H.264, H.265, and VP9)

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
You can set up browsers to not remember anything at all if you want this. Firefox has this option and I'm pretty sure Chrome can be set up to not remember anything. Alternatively, you could just ditch Chrome and try some other Chromium based browser like Brave if Chrome itself insists on remembering things.

Linux Mint Xcfe is a good one to start off with.

It doesn't really matter except for hardware video decoding support. But anything made in the past couple of years supports the major ones (H.264, H.265, and VP9)
Thanks for your time and suggestions sir. I think i will try follow these.

If I am understanding correctly, you do want to save your passwords and bookmarks, right??? For that both Chrome and Firefox have built in features and usually more efficient than others. However I am hearing a lot of good things about the new version of the Microsoft Edge browser. Yet to try out though.
However, if you are looking for anonymity as mentioned above, then Tails OS is one of the easiest and better solution out there. Its light and live (bootable from USB stick - only 8gb required) and doesn't leave any mark on your PC. It is Linux based and has built in Tor browser by default which uses proxies to connect to the net.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I prefer a browser that Does remember stuff. While nobody likes tracking cookies, that's a small percentage of the other cookies total, and cookies are helpful. Not having cookies saved means constantly downloading the same cookies over and over, which slows things down.

I like Edge for most things, just wish it had better icon and webpage links like IE has. Not a fan of Chrome or Firefox, especially when it comes to the anonymous default 'let's help the miners' stuff and the sheer amount of ram used per tab. Firefox also has other issues besides, mostly with compatibility, it can get buggy.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I dont care much about anonymity . Nothing to hide or afraid. I just care of speed. Some friends told me that Linux would complicated for me , especially with no experiece or little knowledge of computing. Office , dont work and i have t use diferent office than microsoft. All these make it very complicated.

If my understanding is correct the new Edge is a re skinned version of Chrome.

My advice would be Firefox with "Ghostery" installed..Ghostery allows you to whitelist or blacklist cookies and trackers for each site.
It will block images,, videos, ads etc... with imbedded tracking , so some sites will have blank areas where these would normally appear.
As an example on TH articles I have a 2 page blank space while scrolling down the page between the end of the article and the comments section. So on some sites it breaks formatting on the pages with embedded images/ videos with tracking.
I have tried other ad blockers, tracking blockers, etc... over the years. This seems to work well for me.
I also run MalwareBytes premium which catches a few( not many) Ghostery misses.

Solution
I dont care much about anonymity . Nothing to hide or afraid. I just care of speed. Some friends told me that Linux would complicated for me , especially with no experiece or little knowledge of computing. Office , dont work and i have t use diferent office than microsoft. All these make it very complicated.
While there are pros and cons to Linux, you should stick to Windows if you are not comfortable. Linux has a learning curve and not everyone finds it user friendly. I think the hardware you had chosen earlier is pretty fine for what you want to achieve and you should just go about it, without complicating matters further.