Question Best budget motherboard for upcoming ryzen 5 3600X

Oct 15, 2018
am thinking of getting the new ryzen 5 3600X as its cheap and performs really good as somewhat budget cpu,so i was thinking of getting the MSI x470 gaming plus motherboard,any other recommendations concerning price and performance?

Any CPU/MB combos we are hoping to work at this point is really only educated but wishful thinking, unless, the MB manufacturer has already certified that mainboard as known to operate for the CPU you wish to/intend to purchase....

If MSI is on-board with pre-saying the 3000 series will work, you likely have 99+% probability of it working....(especially with the 3600X)

Good luck with your build!

(Do you have storage chosen? Intel's 660P 1 TB NVME drive is only $119 or so....about 3x as fast as the best SATA drives and at near similar prices...)

Asus already has BIOS for most of their x370 and x470 MBs, no MB manufacturer said thy wouldn't support 3rd gen Ryzen excluding A320 chipsets.
I'm sure all manufacturers will have a BIOS ready by the time R3 arrives. Only problemis that on all but few top x470 motherboards need a compatible CPU and RAM to update the BIOS and will be some time until you can buy such updated MB from stores. Maybe in few months time but not soon.

am thinking of getting the new ryzen 5 3600X as its cheap and performs really good as somewhat budget cpu,so i was thinking of getting the MSI x470 gaming plus motherboard,any other recommendations concerning price and performance?
Some pretty good advice on choosing an X470/B450/X370/B350 motherboard for Ryzen 3XXX.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn3rd6N9vGM

His slant is towards the overclocker who likes to maximize performance potential.

But, in general, if you're not concerned about overclocking keep in mind the TDP's of the Zen 2 CPUs. Even the 16 core is only 105W and so it should work well on most any AM4 board if not being overclocked.

A 6 core, 3600(X) certainly should overclock on one too but as ever, the urgency of more capable board increases the more extreme you overclock. The rub is, we still have to learn what 'extreme' overclocking of a Zen2 is.