Question Best budget motherboard.

Nov 16, 2019
Hi all,

Im looking at doing some upgrades to my current setup. I'm after best budget motherboard currently then I can go from there.

Currently I have Gigabyte H81M-DS2V, paired with an Intel Pentium G3258 dual core and 8gbs of Corsair Vengance LP DDR3.

Now budget is seriously limited, the main upgrade im after is CPU but the motherboard has been quite a limiting factor tbh based on that it was a replacement for my originally failed MSI H81M-P33. I was able to overclock on the MSI but struggling on the Gigabyte.

The price differnece between DDR3 and DDR4 is huge, so due to budgeting reasons im sticking with the old DDR3, going to be 16gb.

So what is a good budget motherboard that supports DDR3? Once I have a mobo sorted Im sound on the rest.

Thanks all.

Nov 16, 2019
Thanks for your reply PC Tailor.

Tbh im not too sure. Looking something quad core and overclockable. Don't mind older chipset such as LGA1150 but dont think there is too much in the way of that now so probs more towards the lga1155 or something?

Lol im not even sure anymore, a few years ago I knew my pcs and components like the back of my hand, now Im not too sure

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Unfortunately we can't recommend a motherboard until we know what CPU it's for. First what is your budget? Second what are you trying to do with this PC? You may want to consider an AMD system if money is an issue as they're generally cheaper for similarly performing CPUs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To be quite honest, I'm not too sure but looking at the older LGA1150 Core i5.
Again it depends what spectrum you're looking at and what you're planning on doing. If you're looking at low end i3 / Pentium then you wouldn't need anything major. However if you're looking at i5 / i7 K range then it would make sense to get MBs that are more suitable for unlocked processors.