Best budget power supply for Ryzen 5 1600

JDG14

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi All,

I'm looking for a power supply that will satisfy all my needs.

Here is my current rig and will be upgrading to Ryzen soon:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA970A-DS3 rev 3.0
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640
RAM: Avexir Red LED DDR3 1600 2X4GB RAM
GPU: Zotac GTX 780 Reference Cooler
PSU: Aerocool VP Pro 500w 80 plus Power Supply
Case: Aerocool Strike X One (Will be upgrading to NZXT H440 v2)
Cooler: Deepcool Maelstrom 240L

And here is changes in my rig in the Future
Motherboard: Asrock X370 FATAL1TY Gaming K4
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: TBD (Still deciding what RAM frequency and size would be the best option)
GPU: Zotac GTX 780 Reference Cooler
PSU: TBD
Case: NZXT H440 v2
Cooler: Deepcool Maelstrom 240L

# of Case Fans Running: 8
- 1 Top (Exhaust)
- 1 Rear (Exhaust)
- 2 Side (Intake)
- 4 Fans in the Radiator (Push-Pull Config)

When I try to set this rig up, I never expect that my PSU would handle these configurations, but it did.
Well currently I'm not doing some heavy stuff knowing that any time it might shut down.

The things that I'm currently doing in my PC is just playing one game (AC:Rogue), and some for Home use only.

I want to upgrade my PSU because for future use since I'am going for the Ryzen Build and I don't want my PSU fry those brand new components.

So here are the PSUs I'm gaining my Interest to. My current budget is that I must not go higher than 4000 pesos ($80)

- Seasonic M2II 620w EVO 80+ Bronze: Php 3790
- Corsair CX650M 650w 80+ Bronze: Php 3600
- FSP Raider 750w 80+ silver: Php 3450
- Thermaltake Smart SE 630w 90% GOLD Modular Power Supply: Php 4000
- Cougar VTX700 80+ Bronze 700watts: Php 3300
- Cougar VTX700 80+ Bronze 600watts: Php 2800
- Corsair VS650 Power Supply: Php 2750

The main thing that I'm going to do in my PC is Gaming + some programming also.

Which of these power supply would suffice my needs? Budget wise?

Also if you want to recommend a power supply that is not on the list, feel free to tell me, I might find a way to buy that power supply.

That's All, Cheers and Thank you in Advance. :D

Solution
I won't recommend going for SLI'ing as, not only you will need a beefier PSU (which means more power consumption/costs and heat), but most of the games don't play well with multi-GPU setups - very selected games only support SLI, some games won't have any performance difference, some games will have a slight performance increase, while some games will even have decreased performance.

It's better to get a single more powerful GPU than to SLI two lesser powerful GPUs.

The Seasonic M12II-620 EVO is already more than enough for your current setup. I would save the 1000 pesos ($20) to upgrade more important components in the rig.

Having mentioned the disadvantages of SLI, you might want to re-consider your initial motherboard pick...

JDG14

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply man :D
So now that it's come to this, then I'll go for Seasonic :D

Now, it seems that the 750w version of seasonic M2II is just 1000 pesos away ($20) from the 620w version. :/

Do you think that I should go for the 750w? or 620w should be fine by me. I might be thing of doing SLI with my GTX 780, or just upgrade with a better card, I don't know. :??:

Do you think 750w is worth the additional 20 bucks?

I won't recommend going for SLI'ing as, not only you will need a beefier PSU (which means more power consumption/costs and heat), but most of the games don't play well with multi-GPU setups - very selected games only support SLI, some games won't have any performance difference, some games will have a slight performance increase, while some games will even have decreased performance.

It's better to get a single more powerful GPU than to SLI two lesser powerful GPUs.

The Seasonic M12II-620 EVO is already more than enough for your current setup. I would save the 1000 pesos ($20) to upgrade more important components in the rig.

Having mentioned the disadvantages of SLI, you might want to re-consider your initial motherboard pick (X370-chipset). The B350-chipset mobos are also overclockable and very very similar to the X370s - the only differences are 1) Most, not all, X370 support SLI while all B350 does not; and 2) All X370 have at least 6x SATA ports (some up to 8x or 10x); while all B350 have at least 4x SATA ports (with some having 6x as well).

If you are into OC'ing, there are B350-chipset mobos that have a good number of power phases for better OC voltage regulation such as: Asrock Fatal1ty B350 Gaming K4 (has 9 power phases), the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon (has 10 power phases), and the Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming (has 8 power phases). Check the prices of these 3 alternative mobos if it is significantly cheaper than the Asrock X370 mobo you have initially selected. You'd get better price/performance with those B350 mobos than the X370, esp. if you won't SLI anymore.

Solution

JDG14

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015

Thanks for the reply and the quick insight about my planned build in the future.

So in my conclusion, I'll go for Seasonic M12II 620W Power Supply.

I'll also consider the B350 chipset motherboards and all of those motherboards you mention, I'll try to find one of those and maybe replace the current motherboard on the list.

Thank you once again :D