bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Which psu should I get for my budget? I'm was looking at this one and then I saw a bunch of fear mongering about it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PGW8TN6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_RVStEbEDERC5K

I don't want anything modular. I just want something that I can switch on and power up my pc! I don't need anything cool and fancy I just want a smooth runner!

Specs:
R5 2600
XFX RX 580 8GB
16GB DDR4
GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
CIT DARK STAR
4 X CASE FANS

Both of those are low quality units, I would not trust them in what looks to be a gaming PC. About the lowest quality I’d go is a Corsair CX550. The psu is the one part that if it fails can damage any/all of the connected components. A gaming pc puts the psu under high load for long periods of time.

I don't want anything modular. I just want something that I can switch on and power up my pc! I don't need anything cool and fancy I just want a smooth runner!

Then you don't want an RGB PSU either.

Think about it: That PSU is cheap. AND it has an RGB fan and RGB LEDs aren't free.

That's a garbage PSU with pretty lights that ups the price. Bad choice.

Reactions: bobjackieson
At the moment I am using the EVGA 700w br 80+ bronze https://www.scan.co.uk/products/700...8gr62P0NM-KyIR9_g11JsMnT1EaghafcaAsrZEALw_wcB it is nothing special bit it gets the job done and you can find it in the uk for £55, ive had it for three months with no issues so far powering a r5 1600 and a rx 580
Recommending a lower quality model because you have one is not helping the OP to make an informed decision. Downvoted.
The Corsair TXM650 recommended above by @logainofhades is a far better option for a modest price increase.

Last edited:

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Then you don't want an RGB PSU either.

Think about it: That PSU is cheap. AND it has an RGB fan and RGB LEDs aren't free.

That's a garbage PSU with pretty lights that ups the price. Bad choice.

Ok, how are the vs series? Heard good and bad about them! If not I can stick to a cx or antec neoeco if thats a better choice?

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
VS are old and bad by modern standards. In the late 00s, they were a passable PSU, never great. Now they are inefficient and poor.

The Corsair TXM is a top-quality product. Get that
Ok, I'll see what I can pick up near me. Most likely a CX, txm or be quiet system power 9.

Checked and all rate high and are high in the psu tier lists. Should be fine i think! : )

Last edited: