[SOLVED] Best Budget Upgrade For Intel i5-4670k on 1150 board. OR new board?

Sep 18, 2020
I currently have an MSI Z97-G5S motherboard with an intel i5-4670 CPU. 16gb of DIMM 1 memory and ASUS GTX 660 video. I am not much into gaming but am doing more video editing. If I am reading the intel chart correctly the only chip upgrade I have available is to an i7-4790k. Should I spend more money on this board or switch boards that provide more upgrade options?

Solution
if you where able to upgrade to the best your mobo can have (I7 4790K) you would get a boost in speed
But it's the pricing where the problem lies, they charge waaaaaaay to much for such a chip

It is more economically sound to upgrade your platform (mobo/ram/CPU)
if you where able to upgrade to the best your mobo can have (I7 4790K) you would get a boost in speed
But it's the pricing where the problem lies, they charge waaaaaaay to much for such a chip

It is more economically sound to upgrade your platform (mobo/ram/CPU)

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have an MSI Z97-G5S motherboard with an intel i5-4670 CPU. 16gb of DIMM 1 memory and ASUS GTX 660 video. I am not much into gaming but am doing more video editing. If I am reading the intel chart correctly the only chip upgrade I have available is to an i7-4790k. Should I spend more money on this board or switch boards that provide more upgrade options?
A video editing build should have 32GB RAM, a LARGE SSD and a good CPU. What budget do you have to upgrade?