Best Buy Announces Windows 8 Launch Offers, Exclusives

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I will try to fix the title for you...

"Best Buy Attempts to Create Hype for Windows 8 in Order to Save Brick & Mortar Stores"

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Id rather hold on to my old laptop as those Windows 7 keys will be like gold when MS stops making Win 7.
I also got a chuckle out of the phrase Windows 8 hype.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'm finding Windows 8 fantastic and so are the other testers in work. Funny really as we're just simply using the operating system and it's really quite good. Was that too positive for a few of you? :)

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]I'm finding Windows 8 fantastic and so are the other testers in work. Funny really as we're just simply using the operating system and it's really quite good. Was that too positive for a few of you?[/citation]

I have had quite the opposite experience. I and everyone I know who has used the preview has hated it. You are in fact the first person I have heard of who actually liked it.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I won't pirate windows either, RC was good enough for me...
Besides that, me and the IT department head agreed that retraining everyone over a windows 7 patch was not compelling enough, oh and the social plugins are detrimental to work productivity as well...
We need people to get work done, faster, not everyone posting how ugly their boss is on facebook.........

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]I have had quite the opposite experience. I and everyone I know who has used the preview has hated it. You are in fact the first person I have heard of who actually liked it.[/citation]
There are more than a few, but the people that like it are almost frightened to post due to the bully tactics of the vocal haters, it isn't a popularity contest
An article on The Register said it well:-
You can also expect the howls of dismay from users trying Windows 8 for the first time to quieten eventually as world+dog gets more used to Microsoft's latest effort.
The bullies that think they are right because they have a few bandwagoners will drift away and leave just a hardcore bunch of Apple or Google paid sycophants when from the expected 360 million+ PC's that are sold each year, next year at least 200 million have Windows 8 pre-installed, people get used to it, like it, and the bandwagoners just STFU for a change
Bullies never win

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Well I have installed the RTM version and at first I thought I may have done the wrong thing. However after some tweaking I can honestly say this OS makes the grade.

Here is what to do. On the Metro Screen right click near the bottom of the screen. Clink on the all Apps button. Uninstall ALL apps that you don't want. This includes the music and video and picture apps. This will stop your system being taken over by apps when you click on files.

Remove all the tiles you don't want off the Metro Screen. When you install Desktop Applications they will appear on the Metro Screen. When you have it how you want it you will find the Metro Screen is 10 times better than the old start menu. It is great for grouping programs, is very configurable and is actually good to look at once you have made it your own.

There are heaps of little tweaks and tips to make this OS sing your song. I have mine so similar to Win 7 but with that added advantages of Win 8 that I can say hand on heart Win 8 is worth having.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_wizzie[/nom]I'm not bullying anybody. If you like it, good for you. I don't, and I won't get it for the time being. How is that a problem?[/citation]
Not you, but you have seen them floating around, multiple accounts to thumb down to infinity, using the old "everyone hates it" populist opinion arguement and flatout refusing to acknowledge the existence or effectiveness of any software that counters their sole arguement about Start menus and Metro screens, like ClassicShell, civilised discourse and technical merit are dirty words and it descends into childish name calling

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Another very useful tip is to right click on the desktop select personalize then select change desktop icons and the trusty Computer Icon and a Control Panel Icon are there to be selected and put on your desktop. This allows the traditional user to go straight to where they need to without any dramas.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Wamphryi[/nom]Another very useful tip is to right click on the desktop select personalize then select change desktop icons and the trusty Computer Icon and a Control Panel Icon are there to be selected and put on your desktop. This allows the traditional user to go straight to where they need to without any dramas.[/citation]

Still doesn't help the lack of start menu or the fact that modern ui can' be turned off or uninstalled for that matter.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Still doesn't help the lack of start menu or the fact that modern ui can' be turned off or uninstalled for that matter.[/citation]
You can't uninstall Explorer either, but that doesn't stop a healthy trade in alternate file explorers.
ClassicShell.
Spend 30 seconds on Google and realise that this sad arguement is just getting boring now.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]So when can we except MS to start working on Windows 9[/citation]
Probably already well into Windows 10, if you think about a 3 year release cycle then having an active R&D budget as big as they do i'm sure there are already crazy ideas floating around

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I find it pretty funny that people come on Tom's Hardware to start a thumbs up or down war, lol. This is a tech site, not a high school popularity contest.

For those who are looking to purchase win8, Microcenter has made a mistake on their website where you can preorder a physical disc of win8 upgrade for $38. As most of you know, the digital download for win8 is supposed to be $40, while the physical copy is supposed to be $60, so this is a $20 discount and a little more convenient for those who happen to live near a Microcenter.

@Wamphryi
Completely agree, the biggest issue with the start screen is simply that it is a disorganized mess. I organized mine so that the first column is all the stuff I want to see: Desktop first as a large tile, followed by large tiles for email, chat, weather, and a news feed. Next column is for social stuff, so the Social app gets a big tile, and all the people I check up on follow with small tiles, and I rarely have to go to the FB page anymore unless I need to post something for work. Next come the media apps, WMP, VLC, QT, Picture Viewer, Paint, Music, Skydrive, etc. Next is games, all of them both metro and desktop all fit nicely in there. Then come utilities, so things like antivirus, graphics, benchmarks, hardware tests, hardware utilities, ccleaner, etc. Then comes productivity, so the adobe suite, office, etc (these are also pinned to the superbar on the desktop... they are not behind games because I slack off all the time... really :D ). Lastly are the newly installed apps.

Each column is neatly separated, labeled, and it is super easy to add a new category. When I need to find something not on the list I can just start typing and it shows up instantly. I really is so much more usable than the old school start menu, the problem is that it took me a month to figure out how I wanted things, and to figure out all the nifty little tricks, and I probably would not have figured out how to label a group except that I stumbled upon the feature with a touch screen, and it took a while to figure out how to get to it on keys and mouse (ctrl+scroll wheel down, then rt click on a group, and rename from the context menu). The fact it is that hard to know how to do it is entirely MS's fault for not making features readily apparent, but once you know how to do it, it works really really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.