Best Buy Customers Thought Galaxy Tabs Were iPads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Not like you can expect much else for people who still go to Best Buy to buy their electronics, like those $50 gold-plated HDMI cables or $99 keyboard with rubber domes that has worse everything compared to a $20 Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The boxes aren't the same! Let's figure out­.

If they're stupid enough to buy the bad one, they just have to return it. End of story.

I think this story is (MOSTLY) made up just to help the trial. Best Buy and Apple are pretty good friend.

EzioAs

Distinguished
Seriously??? They couldn't even tell whether it's a Samsung Tab or an iPad?? Do you buy only on looks without even looking at the product name?? Wow these people need help.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I worked at a CompUSA like 15 years ago. I was always amazed that we took back about 25% of our daily sales in returns.

It just goes to show that people will buy anything with no idea of what they are buying. Imagine for every $100 sold the store gives back $25. The worst part about it, is the stuff brought back was always opened and man handled so we could not put it back on the shelf, we had to send it back to the supplier and get a an inventory credit.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
That just goes to show you why the iPad sells so well. It's a great product, but people think the iPad is the only tablet out there. They see a fancy box that says "Samsung" and they think it's an iPad. They probably used it for a few hours until they realized it didn't sync with iTunes.

who cares how similar the product is? These things are locked up, and you have to ask an employee for the item you want. Besides that Apple products have very distinctive minimalistic packaging with their logo on it. Samsung products say SAMSUNG in dark bold lettering. If you are going to drop $500 on a computer accessory and do not know what they hell you are buying then you get what you deserve!

Let's see...
-big fat hardware button on the front bezel
-different aspect ratio
-big logo on tablet
-different name on the box
-etc. (list could go on)

yeah, I could see why people would get sooo confused....../facepalm

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am waiting for Goodyear to sue Firestone for design infringement. I cant tell the difference between a Goodyear tire and Firestone tire unless I take a good hard look at them. There both basically Round with a big hole cut in the center. Its obvious Firestone copied Goodyears design there are so many different ways to design a tire.

/end sarcasm

Tell yea the truth if I was apple I don't think I would want this article published. Just shows how stupid some of the I-Sheep truly are.

"Examples outlined in the documents include comments from Samsung workers discussing similarities with Apple’s products"

Consumer demand for product functionality dictates the design of the product, much like two different species of organisms utilising the same niche evolve overtime to acquire similar trait due to similar selective pressure in what is called convergent evolution.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
How bloody stupid! So people walk into a Ford Dealership looking for a Corvette?

What part of "SAMSUNG" on the box could they not understand? Its not like the sales person gave anyone an Samsung when someone asked for an ipad. If they are that stupid to not tell the difference, they should keep the Samsungs.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]I worked at a CompUSA like 15 years ago. I was always amazed that we took back about 25% of our daily sales in returns.It just goes to show that people will buy anything with no idea of what they are buying. Imagine for every $100 sold the store gives back $25. The worst part about it, is the stuff brought back was always opened and man handled so we could not put it back on the shelf, we had to send it back to the supplier and get a an inventory credit.[/citation]

I recall overhearing someone trying to return a laptop at Circuit City because he didn't like it.

There were shotgun pellets lodged into it. Somebody had shot it. The customer service looked a bit concerned.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Samsung is know for copying the competition in many cases (there are no 36 methods to manufacture a certain kind of product), but they are subtle enough to create a distinctive product and avoid to fool their customers by making perfect copies of the competitor's product.
As far as I know, there's a big Samsung mark on the box, nothing that comes close to a drawing of a fruit and It's called Galaxy Tab, not somethingPad or iSomething. The packaging of the Galaxy is maybe similar in shape to the iPad's packaging, but how the hell can you package it differently??? Any constructor selling a rectangular shaped device will probably put it in a rectengular box, with the product appearing on the top of the packaging as you open it, and the accessories and manuals below it. That's elementary marketing and from cell phones to digital camera's, every decent manufacturer has used the same layout for about ten years !
The fact that consumers manage to confuse iPads and Galaxy tabs says a lot about how brainwashed the average (or below average) consumers have become with the iPad hype but it doesn't demonstrate that Samsung wanted to fool his customers. Many dumbasses are calling any tablet an iPad or any smartphone an iPhone, but that's hardly the fault of the manufacturer of the device.

CDdude55

Distinguished
To me they look nothing a like, people just inherently think the IPad is the tablet of choice because they hear about so much that most of them don't even understand that there are other options to pick from. To alot of people when you say "tablet" they convert that to meaning "IPad".

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Seeing how many Idiots live out there in the wild, I am surprised that humanity managed to climb down from the trees and get this far.

pmac1328

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I'm not going to defend either position in this argument, but I was browsing around a Best Buy computer department the other day when a patron asked an employee if they had any of the "Samsung iPads". For the uninformed, the term "iPad" has become synonymous with "tablet". That may be the cause of at least some of the issue.

G

non techies say "i want an iPad" but what they mean normaly is they want a TABLET, or they "want an iPod" but what they want is a potable music player which plays their "mp3s", even if their mp3's don't have the .mp3 extension say .aac or .wav non techies say mp3.
This is because as always, the press get it wrong. They take endless shortcuts with term's and names leading to total confusion in the public.
We in the tech market place need to make much better practise to ensure the product is not confused with the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.