News Best Buy Lists Alder Lake Non-K CPU Specs And Pricing

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So, unlike the K variant, all the Core i5 have their E-core disabled, is it true or just the typo ?

Not disabled. Not there to begin with. As I've been saying for a while, the desktop variants of Alder Lake don't have E-Cores just to save power like in a mobile device, they're there to improve multithreaded performance.

but a small price cut could put Ryzen back in the picture.
The $180 12400F with DDR4 is likely to beat the $300 MSRP 5600x. It's going to take more than a "small price cut" to the original MSRP to bring balance to the force here.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
This sounds really great, but we need b660 and h610. It's also great if you still want to go ryzen because once all these are available along with cheaper motherboards, the 5600x will have to drop in price a lot to sell well.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
There are already price reductions to the Ryzen 5000 series line, though it's likely they're not "official". The 5950X is down to $690, for example.
Yeah but that is like a 5% cut from before alder lake. Barely anything. The only cpu much affected by these launches is the 5600x. The 5600x is still around $300 and it was released like a year ago at that price. The reason being I think it's the only CPU really affected is because the i9 and i7 non-k's are never really popular anyway. But the 12400(f) will probably trade punches with the 5600x being $210 and $180 I believe it said.

Co BIY

Splendid
Not disabled. Not there to begin with. As I've been saying for a while, the desktop variants of Alder Lake don't have E-Cores just to save power like in a mobile device, they're there to improve multithreaded performance.

It looks like maybe the E Cores are a way to get to high core counts while staying within the standard desktop power/heat budget more than saving die space. I expected E cores further down the stack.

Regarding the rollout (existence?) of the B and H series motherboards. How many chips are in a chipset? Is it consolidation of the chipset features to fewer chips that leads to H670 getting the axe ?

The lower end and especially lower TDP CPUs could use E cores the most. I could see a Celeron just being E cores for example. I would like to see at least a few e cores thrown at lower tier parts. That being said, the omission of E cores does not make the products bad, but just not as good as they COULD have been.

The E cores are far more impressive to me than the P cores.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacob249358
Apr 1, 2020
Yeah but that is like a 5% cut from before alder lake. Barely anything. The only cpu much affected by these launches is the 5600x. The 5600x is still around $300 and it was released like a year ago at that price. The reason being I think it's the only CPU really affected is because the i9 and i7 non-k's are never really popular anyway. But the 12400(f) will probably trade punches with the 5600x being $210 and $180 I believe it said.

I think AMD is waiting until Zen 3+, the 3D Cache versions, release to do actual price cuts. I can't wait myself.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
The lower end and especially lower TDP CPUs could use E cores the most. I could see a Celeron just being E cores for example. I would like to see at least a few e cores thrown at lower tier parts. That being said, the omission of E cores does not make the products bad, but just not as good as they COULD have been.

The E cores are far more impressive to me than the P cores.
Yeah, I said in a post a while ago that talked about the lga 1700 Celeron that I would love to see come 6c/10t i3s. Although I don't know about only having e cores in a chip though because that would mean no hyperthreading. Also, the scores are more for heavy some extra heavy lifting so the p cores can tackle the main things like if you were to be gaming and editing a video at the same time or something. Correct me if I'm wrong about that part though because I haven't seen actual benchmarks or tests that's just words from some YouTubers.

Current Celerons are so terrible that its not hard to make an improvement.

From 2015 to 2020 they hardily changed at all, only getting marginal clockspeed increases over time. Still the same 2 thread CPU with 2mb cache. Comet lake refresh saw the cache size increase to a whopping 4mb cache but the performance is still similar.

They look better on paper than their actual performance ends up being too. I had a Coffee lake Celeron from 2018 and it lost significantly in r23 to a a G3258, a 2c2t CPU from 2014.

4 tremont cores, even if they only clocked to 3ghz or so would be a HUGE improvement in performance.