Best Buy Online Sales Rise Due to Amazon Tax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
The only reason people are excited about businesses that don't impose sales tax at the time of purchase are people ignorant to the fact that you're obligated to claim these on your tax return at the end of the year. There's no such thing as "not having to pay sales tax" if your state imposes sales tax, regardless of where you bought it. It just comes down to the business imposing the sales tax and then remitting it to the state, or you having to do it yourself on your tax return. Either way, the state was supposed to be getting the tax, it just so happens that consumers don't generally turn around and do that.

obsama1

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]The Egg baby, free shipping and NO taxes.[/citation]

Not in my state. They charge tax and shipping. Amazon has free shipping for me (Prime) and no tax. Microcenter does charge tax, but their low prices make up for it. Newegg used to be good, but not anymore. Their sales are a bit weak.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]hitman400[/nom]Guys, (I'm pretty sure) but they HAVE to charge tax for people who buy their products in the same state that they are located in as well as their warehouse. I forget what kind of tax this is, but..ya[/citation]
Brick and mortar tax.
If you have any physical buildings in a state be it a warehouse, office or retail space you have to collect taxes in those states.
New Egg collects taxes in New Jersey and Tennessee where they also have distribution warehouses, Not just California where their main warehouse and offices reside.
I live in Ohio where our local government overtaxes businesses so hard its cheaper for my 2 of my buddies who own landscaping businesses to depreciate, donate, write off then buy new mowers, blowers, shovels, hoes and brooms than pay the yearly inventory tax on them. And people wonder why industry ran like hell out of here... lol

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
After Amazon started charging tax (in California), I did stop buying as much from them... because at that point, there was no reason to buy from them instead of the 'egg. (which has warehouses in state) I still haven't bought anything from Best Buy though. (and rarely Frys)

rhel

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]No taxes for you? YesNo taxes for residents of California? Not so much. Newegg charges sales tax for customers in California(and possibly NJ/TN, not 100% on these 2)[/citation]

NJ gets taxed on NewEgg also, making me use Amazon more.

BigBodZod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Time to move to Oregon.[/citation]

Already here, the downside is that we have a high Income Tax rate, so you either pay it this way or you pay a consumption tax, just *not* both.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm just waiting to point and laugh when Commifornia starts whining about how their tax revenue projections were way overly optimistic and they're still bankrupt. That's what they get for becoming Little Mexico and trying to shakedown Amazon.

maximus20895

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]No taxes for you? YesNo taxes for residents of California? Not so much. Newegg charges sales tax for customers in California(and possibly NJ/TN, not 100% on these 2)[/citation]

Why yes, Newegg charges Tennessee with our lovely 9.25% tax :( That's why I try to buy from TigerDirect or Amazon..once you buy a nice CPU, GPU or what have you almost 10% turns into $50 or $100 on top which is significant.

I've heard Amazon was going to charge us too, it's kinda a shame.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Brick and mortar tax.If you have any physical buildings in a state be it a warehouse, office or retail space you have to collect taxes in those states.New Egg collects taxes in New Jersey and Tennessee where they also have distribution warehouses, Not just California where their main warehouse and offices reside.I live in Ohio where our local government overtaxes businesses so hard its cheaper for my 2 of my buddies who own landscaping businesses to depreciate, donate, write off then buy new mowers, blowers, shovels, hoes and brooms than pay the yearly inventory tax on them. And people wonder why industry ran like hell out of here... lol[/citation]

They cut deals with the states to where they don't have to charge sales tax. Amazon has warehouses here in Indiana and I can buy stuff all day and night without paying tax because they cut those deals but one of the mall chains bitched and threatened to sue the state, so they're going to require Amazon to collect tax starting in 2014 (I think it's at the start of 2014). So technically, there are ways around the brick-and-mortar tax.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]Doesn't it say in the constitution that only Congress can regulate interstate commerce? So where does California get off thinking they're allowed to do that now? Gimme gimme gimme, that's all that's on their mind.[/citation]

INTERstate is between states. If Amazon has corporate facilities in California (which it does) and sells to someone in California, then the state has every right to collect state sales tax just as it does on every other business operating in and selling to state citizens.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]maximus20895[/nom]Why yes, Newegg charges Tennessee with our lovely 9.25% tax That's why I try to buy from TigerDirect or Amazon..once you buy a nice CPU, GPU or what have you almost 10% turns into $50 or $100 on top which is significant.I've heard Amazon was going to charge us too, it's kinda a shame.[/citation]

Depends on how you look at it. Due to its location, Tennessee is a MAJOR shipping hub. With New Egg and and Amazon opening up distribution centers there, that means you're going to be saving on shipping fees and generally getting your merchandise next day at ground rate prices.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rhel[/nom]NJ gets taxed on NewEgg also, making me use Amazon more.[/citation]

1. Amazon tax is coming soon; they opened a distribution center here in NJ and signed a year or two reprieve and then sales tax kicks in. On the plus side, you save on shipping and get your goods much faster. In fact, New Egg is offering same-day delivery to Manhattan and parts of NJ now on items stocked at the NJ warehouse. They may also be doing pick-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.