Best Buy Online Sales Rise Due to Amazon Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
typical best buy crying cause amazon wasn't adding in sales tax to their products whats next best buy going to cry because they aren't paying stocking fee either? It's best buys fault that they are on the the brink of going bankrupt with over their top prices on many products, i was in there last week and they were still trying to sell an nvidia GT 440 for 100 bucks. lol and they wonder why people flock to online retail stores.

Doesn't it say in the constitution that only Congress can regulate interstate commerce? So where does California get off thinking they're allowed to do that now? Gimme gimme gimme, that's all that's on their mind.

gilgamex101

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Best Buy is a robbery, a blatant robbery, I saw a stick of PNY 512mb DDR2! DDR2!! for $25 not too long ago! Amazon in general is one of the most comprehensive places to shop, it is even more organized than ebay with seperate affiliate online stores. Whatever self-proclaimed gains Best Buy is having, I don't buy it (semi-pun?)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]The Egg baby, free shipping and NO taxes.[/citation]

No taxes for you? Yes

No taxes for residents of California? Not so much. Newegg charges sales tax for customers in California(and possibly NJ/TN, not 100% on these 2)

G

So that explains why California had it first revenue surplus in 14 years. (sarcastic)

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Guys, (I'm pretty sure) but they HAVE to charge tax for people who buy their products in the same state that they are located in as well as their warehouse. I forget what kind of tax this is, but..ya

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
"If this had happened to Amazon when they were just a bookseller years ago, they may not be as big as they are now."

book at retail, 30-50$
book on amazon, 8-20$ cheaper, and thats new prices, you willing to go used and its up to 95% cheaper.

thats amazons strong suit, being so cheap that even when sales tax is applied they are the cheapest.

at the same time, i think the way sales tax is applied is wrong.

the items cost should have sales tax included, not being slapped in the face later on at checkout with what, 1-11.5% more cost added onto whatever it is.

i dont even believe we should have a sales tax considering that some states dont.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]at the same time, i think the way sales tax is applied is wrong. the items cost should have sales tax included, not being slapped in the face later on at checkout with what, 1-11.5% more cost added onto whatever it is. i dont even believe we should have a sales tax considering that some states dont.[/citation]

Sales taxes are for YOUR state's spending on YOUR state's programs.

Hate sales tax? Start a campaign to have them raise your state income and property taxes instead. The money is going to come from somewhere.

Or get them to cut spending on worthless programs (cough *California* cough). Its your state's budget, your problem. You don't like something then change it.

Amazon has offices and warehouses in California. Its not interstate commerce. If you don't wanna pay for the dumb stuff California spends money on, some of which I am sure is on you. Then don't live there or fix your state

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
When was the last time Best Buy was the best buy? Think about that one for a while.

Go into Best Buy or Frys, look at device, use Amazon Barcode scanner on phone, purchase it from Amazon, leave store empty handed, having purchased a better deal.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]Sales taxes are for YOUR state's spending on YOUR state's programs.Hate sales tax? Start a campaign to have them raise your state income and property taxes instead. The money is going to come from somewhere. Or get them to cut spending on worthless programs (cough *California* cough). Its your state's budget, your problem. You don't like something then change it.[/citation]

honestly i want a flat tax across the board with no deductions of any kind. i hate the current tax code that's in place where no one can really speak out against it in fear that they didnt pay their due. the government really wants to shut you up, that's how they can do it because i guarantee everyone in this country didnt pay the right amount somewhere in the 1000+ pages of tax code laws.

we should only be taxed once for the purpose of raising funds, anything more than that is corruption (think vice taxes, or deductions you get for being married or having kids)

That's entirely my point. Petition your state to have a flat tax if that's what you want. Elect people who support that. Do something about it.

Your never going to get rid of state taxes though, they will always be separate from federal by the design of our country, and you can't complain that someone in another state gets taxed less or more on a state level, or taxed with a different method. The people of the state have the right to choose how their state spends state money and how that money is collected. And sales taxes are ONLY state taxes.

Weather Newegg has to charge tax for California residents or not does not matter to me where I live Newegg does not charge tax and that is all that counts. For my new rig that will be here tomorrow that meant only $22.00 shipping on $1500 purchase. Had Newegg had to charge tax I would have had to leave something off my list as the price would have been more than the $1500 I had to spend.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]What all you Boneheads gonna do when Bestbuy goes under because you low lifes game playing. As soon as Amazon puts out BB and all the other Electronic Stores their prices will sky rocket as high if not higher than Bestbuy and you won't have any other options. Furthermore if BB goes under, you won't have a store to go looking at products, then what %^&%^ Holes. Best Buy is a good store, if you don't like em stay the %&^& out of their store Bitches.............[/citation]

Are you getting paid by best buy?

So amazon will just take over the internet retail world is that what you are saying? lol Amazon is one of many upon many sucessful online retail stores on the interent. So no amazon is some giant threat to online retails stores liek you want to make it out to be or else places like newegg would have fallen years ago and last time i check newegg is highly sucessful.

oh yes because best buy is the only place that sells electronics and or games at their store. lol Lets see there is Fry's, HH Greg, Stamples, Office Depot, Office Max, Walmart, Game Stop, Target etc....

Best Buy is a good store? is that the only store you ever been to in your life that sells eltronics? lol Best Buy is a rip off i can go to Fry's for example and buy the same electronic device cheaper. You really are clueless aren't you?

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]ipwn3r456[/nom]Stupid Amazon tax... Why do you have to exist...[/citation]
It's called a fat bloated greedy government that has become a leech on freedom everywhere.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Are you getting paid by best buy? So amazon will just take over the internet retail world is that what you are saying? lol Amazon is one of many upon many sucessful online retail stores on the interent. So no amazon is some giant threat to online retails stores liek you want to make it out to be or else places like newegg would have fallen years ago and last time i check newegg is highly sucessful.oh yes because best buy is the only place that sells electronics and or games at their store. lol Lets see there is Fry's, HH Greg, Stamples, Office Depot, Office Max, Walmart, Game Stop, Target etc....Best Buy is a good store? is that the only store you ever been to in your life that sells eltronics? lol Best Buy is a rip off i can go to Fry's for example and buy the same electronic device cheaper. You really are clueless aren't you?[/citation]

+1

If i was force to any brick store, it would be Microcenter. Not best buy.

If you have one near you, you enjoy the benefits of getting an core i3/5/7 alot cheaper than anywhere else, and there prices for the other stuff are comparable to others.

Bestbuy, most stuff i could get there (electronic wise) is way over priced and can get it cheaper else where.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]honestly i want a flat tax across the board with no deductions of any kind. i hate the current tax code that's in place where no one can really speak out against it in fear that they didnt pay their due. the government really wants to shut you up, that's how they can do it because i guarantee everyone in this country didnt pay the right amount somewhere in the 1000+ pages of tax code laws. we should only be taxed once for the purpose of raising funds, anything more than that is corruption (think vice taxes, or deductions you get for being married or having kids)[/citation]

Too bad Herman Cain didn't win.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This happened to us in Canada... originally online retailers based in Canada only had to charge the federal tax called GST if you were not in the same province they were based out of. Now we get charged the full 13% on all online purchases if the retailer is CDN. It really pushes up the purchase price of the things I order most - computer parts.

Draconian

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
That's great except when Best Buy charges more than Amazon, thus negating any savings.

Eventually all the online shops will start charging sales tax, even Best Buy and Newegg. And that's when tax-free eBay will reign supreme.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This is only a short term boost to Best-Buy. As soon as everyone figures out that Amazon is STILL cheaper with tax and that they actually have customer service Best Buy will go back to completely screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.